Catalina 22 or 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

Quinn

How long does it take to setup a catalina 25 from trailer. I am trying to decide upon purchasing a Catalina 22 or 25 swing keel. It's not going to be in a slip, so will be using it for weekends primarily myself. Should I stick with a 22 b/c it looks like not that difficult. 25 seems to need a few people and longer time... I am novice sailer... Thanks for advice.. Quinn

D

Dave

Catalina 25 too much work

I had a Catalina 25 for 10 years. I always set up the mast myself. It is way too much work to expect to trailer it and rig it each weekend!!! The mast is pretty heavy and takes a while to set it up. I suppose you could keep the rigging and spreaders set up but you have to remove the mast from the deck step to trailer it so it is definitely a two person job and not easy. I recommend the 22 but question even that size for regular weekend outings. Why not find a mooring to keep it on for the season? Another option is a smaller boat with a cabin in the 19 foot range.

P

Paul

Rigged on Trailer?

Can you leave it rigged on the trailer at the launch site?

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Catalina 25 Mast Height

What Dave said about the Catalina 25 mast being difficult to manage is a comment I've heard several times. At least about 15 years ago there were two masts available for the 25, one taller than the other. People have come up with devices such as gin poles to help step the masts but this obviously takes more time. People who trailer their boat should consider the shorter mast because the taller one, even though it is only a couple feet longer (I think), is much more difficult to raise. Unfortunately, it's the tall rig that has all the good sail power. The smaller boats have a definite advantage for setup time. Our 16-ft Falcon daysailer took me only 5 minutes from the time I arrived at the launch ramp until splash. This included stepping the mast (side stays stayed attached so only had to do the forestay), inserting boom, taking 3-hp outboard from trunk to stern of boat, attaching boom gooseneck to the mast and puting the boom in the boom crotch, undoing the tie-down straps, removing the trailer tail lights and license plate, and puting in the boat miscellaneous items (food, etc.). The rudder was transported in the cockpit and attached after launch. The Falcon 16 had a cuddy for some protection and could sleep two with a boom tent. Under the seats were lockers. Flotation was in the bow and stern. Some launch areas allow people to store their boat nearby on a trailer but that depends on the locale. Shilshole Marina in Seattle has a storage area for trailer boats where people "dry sail" their boat and they are allowed to keep the mast stepped. No bottom paint makes for fast sailing consequently many racers use this option. The Royal Victoria Yacht Club in Victoria BC has an excellent dry sail facility with many class racing boats (Stars, mini-meters, etc.) lined up in neetly organized rows (see the pictures on their web site). The RVYC is the sponsor of the Swiftsure Race. Web site: http://www.rvyc.bc.ca/

P

Paul

It takes time

We trailer sailed a 21' clipper and even after 2 yrs it was still 45 -60 minutes to set up and then another 45-60 to take down. Thats not including the trailer hook up getting the trailer back in the yard and so on. We've had a slip for a few yrs now and it makes it a whole lot easier to get out.

T

Tim Mason

Why not the Hunter 240 or 260?

I have yet to buy my boat yet either, but I have wondered about how I will set up, launch, dock, trailer, and tear down my boat by myself after I purchase it. I purchased the video set, "Trailer Sailor" and I saw how to step the mast on a H26, and it did not look very difficult at all. They said that a person can step the mast of a H26 even by oneself, but for safety sake it is always better to have someone help. Hunter uses a gin-pole system and appeared to be fairly easy. I haven't chosen my boat, but if weight and simplicity are a factor, I am very interested in Hunter. Enjoy your search for your perfect boat! Tim

Q

Quinn

Catalina 22 or 25

I am considering a Hunter as well. My vehicle has a towing capacity of 3500lbs, so if I went with a Catalina 25, need to upgrade my vehicle or have a slip and rent an SUV to put it in/out for the sailing season here.. Their really is a big difference between the 22/25. I looked at a 22 a few weeks ago, but it needed a lot of work... Am checking another this evening, which is a 1970, with only one owner..Can you imagine that. 1970s did not come with safety lines/pulpit, so would have to purchase from catalina direct(I have kids and feel safer with them)... I think that it is a good starter boat and can go from there. I like the extra room that 25's have in them. I've done some research on the Hunter 23.5, which is definetly a good candidate. Thanks for the feedback, -Quinn

Q

Quinn

Catalina 22 in bad shape

Thanks for the replies to my orginal post everyone. This evening I looked at the 1970 catalina 22, it was in pretty bad shape. The cushions were worn, had a bad paint job..The outboard was the original, etc. I steped down into the cabin and the floor was really soft.. He said there was water in the inner haul and he was right, I could hear it..That can't be good. This is the second boat that I have seen that has been neglected.. It's a smaller boat which is not that difficult to maintain. I know how long it takes to restore a boat.. I think that this time of year, people are selling higher.

R

Rudy

22 mast raising

check out ted's sailing page great info an a nifty way with pics on how to single hand mast raise.

T

tomD

my experience w. C-22 Mk 2

When I purchased my 2000 Mk 2, I was going to do exactly the same thing as you are suggesting: weekends trailering to destinations. The Mk 2 has the ginpole mast raising assembly and it works fine : one person with a step by step method can get the mast up and tensioned in about an hour: Now I park my C-22 at a marina and commute to it: bad boat ramps, destinations with no good moorages,and travelling thru cities with the traffic giving you little respect, not as relaxing and stress-relieving as I had wanted sailing to be. So I found a place with a big sailboat population (your first clue this venue is OK). I then trailered to it, declared it to be my "cabin at the lake", set it up for cruising, and finally, I am enjoying the boat the way I thought it would be. When I want to try somewhere else, I will. But not every weekend. Every few years, maybe. The swing keel gives you options for launching and moorage that a fixed keel can't do. We find the 22 is enough room for weekending for the two of us--but is camping out as opposed to motelling--notable compromises are the head and galley, both matter more to my wife.

T

tom b. c-22

72, c-22, just bought back in jan.

am still workin on it.Found mine at one of those donate your car places for 800 buckeroo's Haven't been sailin since I was a kid, but what the heck. The hull is in good shape, the top side needed to be painted up a bit,all the wood has had to be redone, and am now workin on the keel.The trailer will need a little work.I was able to start the 2hp motor fairly easily. I still need new rigging and a new mainsail. My boat has a bow pulpit with lifelines around it.Doesn't have the slide in galley.Not sure if it ever did. I did however get lifevests,fishing equipment,all the pads for sitting and sleeping, the table inside,and the portable toilet. Everything was there, just needs some work...thats all..honestly it's not that much work..um.. ok so it's a little work,but, hey, thats ok by me. I like doing this kind of stuff. OH, and by the way, if anyone tries to sell you a swing keel boat and says, "oh i replaced the thing that lets the keel down with a regular trailer winch". SAY, "GOODBYE". That didn't happen on the catalina, but I had some idiot who thought I was gonna buy his , um boat, tell me that.Geez,,, kids today...I guess I do look stupid. Just keep looking.When you find the one, you'll know it. GOOD LUCK by the way,the Wright Potter sailboats look like a nice sailboat,if you can find one within your price range.I may be wrong on the exact name..somthing Potter..small, cuddycabin,light weight and I understand they sail pretty good too.Just another possibility for ya...

H

Hise

RE: Why not the Hunter 240 or 260

I've got a buddy with a Hunter 260 the he tows and rigs each outing. It's a fun outing; but, I wouldn't enjoy it if I had to rig and unrig her each time. He's says that he's rigged and unrigged her by himself and doesn't mind; but, the times I've gone with him, it took the 2 of us 1 1/2 hours to rig her then add the launch time... probably about a total of 2hrs before you're out on the water. Maybe I'd be okay with it if every outing was at least an overnighter and that I could do it often; but I'm quite happy with being able to rig and launch may oday 20 in under an hour.

S

Steve Kamp

Rigging and launching a Hunter 260

I have rigged and launched my 260 eleven times since I got her in March this year. Be deliberate and systematic in the procedure and you can get the time down to 45 minutes from arriving at the ramp parking area to floating the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.