Catalina 22 MKII interior ceiling crack

ThomNL

Jun 14, 2024
Catalina 22 mkII Akkrum
Hi all,

I have just purchased my first sailboat a Catalina 22 MKII 2004 and I have missed something crucial during the inspection.
I am aware of the fact that this must have been very obvious to spot, but I have not so that is the reality we face today. I have contacted the previous owner but he states that he was not aware of the crack and does not know the origination. Therefore, I am asking for your advice/help.

Description:
Next to the mast support there is a crack in the interior ceiling. The crack is not in the deck of the boat and there are no signs of damage on the deck near the mast foot.

Questions:
- Do you have a possible explanation for the crack?
- Should this crack be repaired and how urgent is the repair?
- How can you repair the crack?

Hopefully you are able to guide me with your experience, and I hope to learn a lot from owning this boat.

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I don’t know your boat very well, but that looks like a headliner to me. And if so the crack might just only be in the Headliner. And if that’s the case this is just cosmetic

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The post is a compression post to carry the load from the mast down to the keel. Inspect the bottom of the post where it contacts the sole and underneath the sole in that area. Builders often use wood between the hull and the sole to carry the load to the hull and keel. If the wood is frequently wet, it can rot and deteriorate leaving the sole to support the mast, that can cause the headliner to sag and crack.

If the wood supporting the compression post has in fact deteriorated, it needs to be replaced. I'm not familiar engough with the Cat 22 to offer any repair suggestions.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the SBO forum. Congratulations on your new to you boat.

Your choice of the Catalina 22 is a good first boat. There is a lot to like with this boat. 10,000 boats built shows their popularity among first time boat owners. Now that your boat is 20 years old scrapes and dings are bound to have happened.

Looking at the pictures two ideas occur to me.
1. Is there any leaking? The mast sits on top of the deck. The deck is a layer of fiberglass over a plywood core. When inside your looking at an interior plastic (fiberglass) liner. That post is known as a compression post. It holds the deck up, in place, transferring the forces of the sail to the hull. If there is no water leaks then the upper sections of this structure are likely ok.
2. If the upper layers are good then you need to examine the base. The connection of the compression post to the hull. Is this area still solid? If not you need to repair the base of the compression post.

The first question that may be asked, can I take my new boat out on the water. It doesn’t look too bad. Think about the compression post base as the foundation of your house. If the foundation was damaged and there was a small crack in the wall would you fix the foundation or just putty and paint over the crack.

ThomNL

Jun 14, 2024
Catalina 22 mkII Akkrum
Welcome to the SBO forum. Congratulations on your new to you boat.

Your choice of the Catalina 22 is a good first boat. There is a lot to like with this boat. 10,000 boats built shows their popularity among first time boat owners. Now that your boat is 20 years old scrapes and dings are bound to have happened.

Looking at the pictures two ideas occur to me.
1. Is there any leaking? The mast sits on top of the deck. The deck is a layer of fiberglass over a plywood core. When inside your looking at an interior plastic (fiberglass) liner. That post is known as a compression post. It holds the deck up, in place, transferring the forces of the sail to the hull. If there is no water leaks then the upper sections of this structure are likely ok.
2. If the upper layers are good then you need to examine the base. The connection of the compression post to the hull. Is this area still solid? If not you need to repair the base of the compression post.

The first question that may be asked, can I take my new boat out on the water. It doesn’t look too bad. Think about the compression post base as the foundation of your house. If the foundation was damaged and there was a small crack in the wall would you fix the foundation or just putty and paint over the crack.
Thank you for the elaborate and helpful response John.
1. There is some leaking at the port side rigging, but no leaking near the mast or near the crack. The deck near the mast is solid and there are no weak spots near the mast.
2. The base seems fine, no cracks, but I will examine it more thoroughly next time I visit the boat. There are no cracks as you can see on the picture.

Another question, in front of the table there is a hatch, but it has been glued to the floor. You can see this on the other picture. The previous owner told me that it was already glued when he bought the boat. Would you recommend me opening it (this about 1.5 meter from the compression post)?

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Another question, in front of the table there is a hatch, but it has been glued to the floor. You can see this on the other picture. The previous owner told me that it was already glued when he bought the boat. Would you recommend me opening it (this about 1.5 meter from the compression post)?
Absolutely. That is the only access you have to the structure under the compression post. Also there is some staining around the base of the compression post that should be investigated. It could be rust or it could be staining from wet wood. Can't tell from a photo. Check the base of the partial bulkhead. The laminate may be hiding some rot.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Always open all hatches. You never know what you will find in a 20 y/o boat

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
Always try to do as thorough an inspection job as you can . For a "glued" hatch ,I would probably attempt to open it with an oscillating saw .
We use one quite often on the boat. They cut a very fine edge and leave almost no dust or residue .
Controlling one is very easy .A steel compression post is a huge benefit .
Our first sailboat was a Catalina 22 . It was great boat