Catalina 22 Line Sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 16, 2007
- - Merritt Island, FL
I'm replacing all the rope lines on my 1979 Catalina 22 - Does any one on this forum know of a listing of line sizes and lengths required for a complete refitting of all braided lines on the boat? Thanks for any help. L. P. Scott

Dec 16, 2007
- - Merritt Island, FL
I'm replacing all the rope lines on my 1979 Catalina 22 - Does any one on this forum know of a listing of line sizes and lengths required for a complete refitting of all braided lines on the boat? Thanks for any help. L. P. Scott

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
try the C22 Association website

from "Resources" up at the top of this board: www.catalina22.org

Feb 26, 2004
try the C22 Association website

from "Resources" up at the top of this board: www.catalina22.org

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
Running Rigging

LP, I use 1/4" for the Halyards, Outhaul, Cunningham, Vang, Traveler, Backstay and Reefing lines. 60' main, 65' for the jib. My sheets are 5/16" jib sheet is 55', main 45'(I use a 4-1) The jib Downhaul is 3/16"X 65' hope this helps

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
Running Rigging

LP, I use 1/4" for the Halyards, Outhaul, Cunningham, Vang, Traveler, Backstay and Reefing lines. 60' main, 65' for the jib. My sheets are 5/16" jib sheet is 55', main 45'(I use a 4-1) The jib Downhaul is 3/16"X 65' hope this helps

Dec 16, 2007
- - Merritt Island, FL
Lines and sizes Catalina 22

Thanks Ken - I tried "Resources" as Stu suggested - but only got a sales pitch for Samson braid with size "choices" - not real specs. Your info is very helpful as what I really needed was sizes and lengths. Now I can go to the marine store and purchase the needed lines before steping the mast and beginning the process. Thanks Mucho! L.P. Scott

Dec 16, 2007
- - Merritt Island, FL
Lines and sizes Catalina 22

Thanks Ken - I tried "Resources" as Stu suggested - but only got a sales pitch for Samson braid with size "choices" - not real specs. Your info is very helpful as what I really needed was sizes and lengths. Now I can go to the marine store and purchase the needed lines before steping the mast and beginning the process. Thanks Mucho! L.P. Scott

Feb 26, 2004
Some clalrity on resources

click again, and look at the bottom of the gray box: Catalina Owners Associations, that's what i meant, not the rigging shop. Go to the C22 organization, and look at a C22 manual for the line sizes and lengths. The halyard lengths may vary due to mast mount or running them back to the cockpit. Ken's advice was bvery helpful, but, as he said, that's what he uses. Check again.

Feb 26, 2004
Some clalrity on resources

click again, and look at the bottom of the gray box: Catalina Owners Associations, that's what i meant, not the rigging shop. Go to the C22 organization, and look at a C22 manual for the line sizes and lengths. The halyard lengths may vary due to mast mount or running them back to the cockpit. Ken's advice was bvery helpful, but, as he said, that's what he uses. Check again.

Dec 16, 2007
- - Merritt Island, FL
Now see what you've done!

Thanks again Stu - I got over to the site you identified - And before I knew it I had joined the Cat 22 Sailing Assoc. and (of course I had to have the CD Tech manual) - and now $68 bucks lighter - I can go plan in detail my boat refurb - including new lines throught-out! Thanks - L. P. Scott

Dec 16, 2007
- - Merritt Island, FL
Now see what you've done!

Thanks again Stu - I got over to the site you identified - And before I knew it I had joined the Cat 22 Sailing Assoc. and (of course I had to have the CD Tech manual) - and now $68 bucks lighter - I can go plan in detail my boat refurb - including new lines throught-out! Thanks - L. P. Scott

Feb 26, 2004
That's the right thing to do

The Associations provide SOOO much info, it's only right to join them and contribute right back. When we had our C22, we used the drawings in Pat Royce's "Sailing Illustrated," and ran the halyards back with Shaefer blocks on the deck and rigged a downhaul. Check out the book somewhere, you really don't have to buy it, just look at the picture which is of a C22! Again, be careful of new line lengths that you purchase, always err too long, because...

Feb 26, 2004
That's the right thing to do

The Associations provide SOOO much info, it's only right to join them and contribute right back. When we had our C22, we used the drawings in Pat Royce's "Sailing Illustrated," and ran the halyards back with Shaefer blocks on the deck and rigged a downhaul. Check out the book somewhere, you really don't have to buy it, just look at the picture which is of a C22! Again, be careful of new line lengths that you purchase, always err too long, because...

Dec 16, 2007
- - Merritt Island, FL
Pat Royce's Sailing Illustrated

Thanks Stu - I just ordered vol I and II of the ref. book - I always have had a weakness for any new book on the subjects of my interests. Thanks again - L.P. Scott

Dec 16, 2007
- - Merritt Island, FL
Pat Royce's Sailing Illustrated

Thanks Stu - I just ordered vol I and II of the ref. book - I always have had a weakness for any new book on the subjects of my interests. Thanks again - L.P. Scott

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
In the manual

In the manual that I have for the 1987 22 (inb the back page) there is line sizes and lengths but I think that some of them can vary a bit depending upon your specific situation....Lines led aft and all. Another issue to consider is that if you go with these newer and stronger lines of lesser diameter, sometimes the cleats may react differently to them and not hold so well.

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
In the manual

In the manual that I have for the 1987 22 (inb the back page) there is line sizes and lengths but I think that some of them can vary a bit depending upon your specific situation....Lines led aft and all. Another issue to consider is that if you go with these newer and stronger lines of lesser diameter, sometimes the cleats may react differently to them and not hold so well.

Status
Not open for further replies.