Catalina 22- Hollow stepdeck forward of mast

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lynn Larremore

The slanted area between my boat's mast & hatch (15" x 60") has become a void. The sandwich filler that used to be there (I hope) is no longer. Has anyone on this net experienced that? I checked five other c-22's in our marina and four of them had a similar problem, however not as pronounced as on my boat. What to do? We've considered drilling & filling with solid resin or a marine version of "tree-rot" (assuming there is wood by-product in there). Lynn Larremore Tortuga Pirate C-1651 Houston/Clear Lake, TX lynnwlarremore@aol.com

M

Mike Turner

C30s Have Similar Problem -- Fix

C30s have a similar problem of deck deflection under the mast. The factory's recommended fix is to drill holes in the deck to expose the plywood core and allow it to dry out -- if it's rotted out they recommend removing as much as possible. In either event you then fill the void with epoxy. Contact Catalina and see if they have instructions for your repair to the C22 -- they faxed me a good drawing and instructions for the C30 repair. Good luck! Mike Turner C30 Amity Long Beach, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.