Catalina 22 Galley

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robbin

I just purchased an 84 Catalina 22. I have done a little surfing the web for the (or a) galley. The boat was obviously made to accomodate one. Does anybody have any suggestions as to where to look for one?

L

LaDonna Bubak - CatalinaOwners.com

Think twice

There are a lot of requests about this from new C22 owners but as the old C22 owners will tell you, think twice about it. Most folks find that they really just take up too much space for the "function" they serve. Check out the archives for several discussions regarding this in the past year or so. LaDonna

S

steve c

galley build a smaller one

i drew up some plans for a smaller galley i am going to build in place of the old one the old galley is way to big and bulky the one i am going to build will have a single burner stove and beside it a medium size sink all built in a sliding box with 2 draws and a cabinet fore storage

P

Pete Staehling

Galley

I kind of like the galley. If you look they shouldn't be too hard to find because lots of folks don't use theirs. In truth you could probably build something nicer, and certainly lighter, if you started from scratch. Steve C. may be on to something. I would hate to give up the nice two burner stove though. If I were to design my own. It would retain the same stove, but eliminate the sink. I would maximize storage space for cookware, dishes, food, and utensils. It would also have a little counter space which while small would be more useful than the sink. A jug of water and a dishpan in the cockpit actually work better for washing dishes, so that is what I would use. Pete

R

Robbin

Share Galley Plans?

Steve, That sounds do-able in the absence of the real thing. Would you be willing to share your plans? I'm fairly handy and could build something as well, but not knowing what the original looked like I wouldn't even know how to start. You can email me at T-at-home@msn.com Thanks

C

Campy

Pitch the Galley

Pitch the Galley! Mine was a big pain in the knees. The water pump handle broke off (a couple of times) the water is a drag to fill, the sink drains to the silly leakiest place on the deck and it takes up a bunch of space. I now use the space for keeping our (me and three girls) knap sacks with our clothes and toiletries in them. I bought a camp stove from REI camping supplies, theirs one of a hundred styles to fit your liking somewhere. I have a 6 gallon water jug that we keep filled from the pier. And we have a cooler that gets wedged between the keel hump and the starboard seat. I don't miss it and don't need it. Campy 1973, Hull #2226 WINDSOCKET

M

Mike

Inefficient use of space

I second Campy's suggestion -- I'd recommend abandoning the galley completely. I removed the galley on my '78 C22, and I'm very happy (except about the space it takes up in my garage). Think about what you get from the slide out galley: (1) a sink, (2) a fresh water tank, (3) a drawer, (4) a "shelf" where you can put a stove, and (5) that cooler-type thing that's useless for actually cooling things. The next question is -- of the stuff on that list, what do you need? I'm primarily a day sailer, so I was able to eliminate the sink, fresh water tank, and stove shelf. If you overnight on the boat, you might want that stuff (but do you need it?). Now that you know the galley features you need, ask yourself if you can re-create them without the addition of a 75lb hunk of fiberglass that eliminates 80% of the storage under the starboard lazarette. I'll bet you can find a much more efficient way of doing it. BTW, on my boat, the vertical clearance under the starboard lazarette is just shy of 15". I've discovered that almost every large cooler box made in the western world is at least 15.25" tall -- seemingly a conspiracy on the part of either Catalina or the cooler industry. The only exception I've found is the 36 qt Igloo Marine ice chest. It fits perfectly in the area formerly occupied by the slide out galley (although you need to move a cushion to get access to it). It's also the perfect size for a full day's food for 4-5 people. Igloo also sells a tie-down kit that I'm in the process of bastardizing for use on my boat. If you're looking for an alternative to the drawer in the galley, try Catalina Direct. They have several drawer-type items that can be retrofitted into various spots around the boat. They're all about $50 each.

Status
Not open for further replies.