Catalina 22 draft??

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Glen M

I am interested in buying a 22 ft trailer-sailer and am concerned with draft board up and see different data on the Catalina 22s. Where can I get this info etc. Thanks Glen M.

T

Ted

Here is the info . . .

The boat "officially" draws 2 feet (24") with the keel up and 5 ft. with the keel down. The reality is a little bit different with the keel up. The rudder (which kicks up) draws the 24". The boat/keel draw about 22". When trying to sneak accross a sand bar at low tide, the rudder will make contact with the bottom first. You can usually gain a couple more inches by kicking the rudder up a little bit. I hope this helps. Regards, Ted

B

Bayard Gross

Not all C-22 rudders swing

The "fixed" ruder on a C-22 draws three feet, or a foor more than when the keel is raised. Hence, one may leave this type of rudder off when launching and retreiving a C-22, as I do myself.

T

Ted

If your are trying to get shallow draft . . .

make sure you get the kick-up rudder. If you need to get below 2 feet of draft take a look at (if you can find one) S2 6.9 or US Yachts 21. These boats have "lifting" keels which fully retract into the hull. They draw about 1 foot and can be beached. Regards, Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.