Catalina 22, double hull??

• Thread starter adrian, avdhave@cyberis.net
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

adrian, avdhave@cyberis.net

I recently bought a 1974 Catalina 22. It has been out of the water for at least 2 yrs. It is still on shore and the front bilge keeps filling up with water. Where does that come from? No water is leaking on the out side. Does this model have a double hull, where water was trapped and now oozes out through a tiny crack? Does anybody have experience with this? If there is a double hull I suppose I can cut it open from the inside clean out the water and patch it back together. Are there building plans of these older models? Would the factory have information?

G

Geoff Atkinson

water in bilge

Check to see if the water is coming in through the keel lock down bolt. This bolt will leak unless it is greased. Good luck. Goeff

R

Rico

Scupper drain assembly?

Check the scupper drain assemlby. It is in the vicinity of the keel winch. This is one place where a failure can lead water directly into the bilge while the boat is out of the water. There are probably a pair of shutoff valve, in which case they should be open to allow the water to drain through the hull. When properly working, valves closed results in the cockpit retaining water. Valves open results in water draining into the drink. Also check all thru-deck fittings. Don't be fooled, seemingly sound fittings can leak buckets. And yes, also do as Geoff suggests and grease the locking strap bolt threads. This will address the leak potential there. --Rico

A

adrian, avdhave@cyberis.net

Thanks

Thanks Geoff and Rico your replies are appreciated. I'll check it out, Adrian

D

Dick of the Sylvan

Water in Bilge

I guess just about any leak can end up in the bilge. My 1975 Cat 22 seemed to get about a cupful of water in the bilge every couple of weeks before this past summer. What seemed to have solved its problem was tying down the forestay to the bow eye on the stem (internally as recommended by Catalina Direct), and sealing the deck/hull joints way up front. Seems the older Catalinas were weak there and the pressure of the forestay tended to separate the deck from the hull, allowing in the case of the Sylvan a little splash while sailing, or rainwater to enter. In my case, I guess the water can be viewed as an early warning before much more serious problems, such as collapse of the mast! Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.