Catalina 22, clogged cockpit drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chet

The two drains in the cockpit of my 1974 Catalina are clogged so that it takes an hour for even a small amount of water to drain. It appears to be stopped up below the shut off valve which is back of the battery compartment in the cabin. Where does this drain exit from the hull? What is the best way to unclog it? If anyone knows a solution, please advise. Thanks

W

Wendell Wells

plunger

I have had good luck using a common toilet plunger. I did find one a bit smaller than the average plunger that seem to work better.Hope this helps. Wendell Wells

G

Gary Briand

clogged cockpit drain

The drain tends to clog in two different ways. The most common and easiest to fix is leaves or other matter in the "T" above the valve. This is fixed by removing the hoses between the drains and the T and probing the debris out. The other clog is from sea life taking residence in the through the hull fitting. This best fixed after hauling out. The hole is just to the rear of the swing keel cable. Remember the valve is at or _below_ the water line. Don't sink your boat! GB

Status
Not open for further replies.