Catalina 22/ Catalina Capri 22/ Catalina MKII 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jake

********* I just purchased a Catalina "something". How can I make the distinction between the 22, Capri and MKII? I was told that the mask height was "standard". Where can I obtain an owners manual? Can it be trailered safely with a Ford Taurus 6 cylinder car?

M

mg

well it could be

here is the skinny, the standard 22 is an iron center boarder or fixed fin keel and built till 85. the interior was changed in 86 0r 87 and the slide out galley was changed to an athwartship shelf with a sink . this model came out with a wing keel option sometime in 88 or 89 (i have an 89 wing) the mkII came out ? Dave will help us there but my guess is mid 90s. with centerboard or wing option. the capri is a more racy model and the first i saw one was in 88 or 89 with a fin or wing option. it has a 10 ft cocpit and more sail controls. the standard 22 swing phrfs at about 270 depending on where you sail. check the brochures which are listed to see the options . hope this helps. mg

J

john renfro

on the outside uper right corner of the transom the catalina 22 has a set of identifying numbers. my numbers start with CTYH, then the hull number, then M76C. i think ctyh stands for Catalina Yachts Hull, and the M is for model, the 76 is the year built and the C is for Catalina you can phone Catalina Direct with this number and get a parts manual. john

D

Dick of Sylvan

C22 National Sailing Association

Jake: For a start on technical info., check out www.spiritone.com/~mack/c22/ And its a good place to get you into the association which can provide a technical manual for not too much money as well as contact for sailing and sharing information with many other C22 sailors. Dick

T

Ted

Cannot safely trailer with a Taurus

You will need an SUV, Taurus is rated for about 2,000 lbs. Your boat is 2,250 +/- and trailer adds about 850. Regards, Ted

G

George

Probably not a Capri 22

It sounds like it is probably not a Capri 22. Ours is a 1985 Capri 22, and painted in large letters on each side near the stern is "Capri 22", so in the absence of the manufacturer's "free" advertising on the hull you probably are talking about a C-22. If you go to one of the Catalina sites on the Net, and look at a new Capri 22, it looks almost identical to our 16 year old one. The only big difference I noted at the boat show was the cushions. George

D

Dave LaPere of Nature's Cradle

ok, here are some other factors

Hi There, and not that I have all the answers here but if you measure a couple of things . First the beam, the beam of the MarkII is wider, in my case my beam came out to be 8'6" as opposed to the standard Catalina of earlier years of 7'4-6" Secondly if it is a swing keel, the MarkII's are lead sheathed in Fiberglass with Gelcoat. The cockpit area in a Capri is much longer with less cabin space then the traditional Catalina or the Mark II. The Mark II also does not have ( at least mine anyway) the teak trim that I have always admired on the traditional Catalina's. The interior layout is quite different again. Much roomier in the MarkII with a very small table mounted to the top of the trunk where the swing keel is mounted into the hull. The Mark II has many more storage access points that the earlier Traditional Catalina's did not come with, and would have had to have been added later. According to my spec sheets that come with the owners manual, along with the electronics package info, my mast is 25'9" tall. The Mark II design also has a gradual slope from the top of the cabin going forward to the bow with an anchor locker built into the top of the deck which has the locker door flush with the deck.Also it has a tinted opening forward hatch as opposed to a solid fiberglass hatch. I hope that I have explained most of the changes in features. One thing to remember about the main difference for the Capri as opposed to the Catalina, The Capri is designed to seat more people in the cockpit area, and the Catalina or MarkII are designed for more area inside the cabin. The Capri built more for racing then the standard Catalina or MarkII, and I'm sure I will get a differing opinion about that comment but that's ok. All are outstanding vessels !!!!!! So take your pick because whichever you choose you will be very satisfied with it. Any other questions I can answer feel free to email me. Happy Sailing , :) Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.