Catalina 18 on Jack stands

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
Catalina 1980 C27 Meinke Marina on Lake Erie
I have a situation where I want to put my C18 on its keel and support it with jack stands. Anyone ever done this? Is the keel strong enough to support the weight of the boat with the jack stands just balancing it from tipping over. I called Catalina Direct and they said something about 75% of the weight on the keel and 25% on the jack stands. Then they mentioned something about oil canning the sides of the keel if most of the weight is on the keel. I was surprised by that comment. Can anyone shed any light on this question.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I have no experience with this, especially for a Catalina 18, but I can't imagine an 18 foot boat can't sit on her keel. After all, nearly a third of a C18's weight is in the keel. That's pulling down constantly while in the water and add to that, the force of lateral resistance and waves. Sitting on her keel should be like nap time compared to all the forces between her keel and hull. Of course, I don't know what I'm talking about. How does she sit on her trailer? You want some weight on the stands, just to hold them from kicking out if bumped. Don't forget to chain them together. And support the bow and transoms.
How long are you planning to leave her on the hard?

-Will (Dragonfly)