Catalina 18 Furler

hinmo1

Sep 6, 2019
Catalina 18 Mass
Does anyone know if a CDI FF1 furler will work on a Catalina 18. By specifications, it looks not (I took someone opinion on a forum that a FF1 CDI would work). After ordering one, I read the specs on the furler extrusion and it looks like it will only work on a 1/8 inch diameter (or 4/32's) stay. Per Catalina spec, the forestay is 5/32, 1/32nd too large.

Guess I try to return the CDI furler.....darn!

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
I think you’re referring to a Catalina Capri 18, AFAIK, all 18s were The Capri model. the OEM forestay for the Capri 18 is 1/8”, and 21 feet long. The FF1 will work on an OEM C18. There’s no logical or technical reason to put a larger diameter forestay on such a small boat. Even the Catalina 22 uses a 1/4” forestay.

CDI usually won’t take back the plastic extrusion as a return. They can’t resell it once it’s been coiled up and stored that way. The extrusion gets permanently distorted if it’s stored in a coiled state for more than a few days.

Judy B

Last edited:

hinmo1

Sep 6, 2019
Catalina 18 Mass
Thx Judy. The boat is a cat18 (2003), not a Capri. Some spec I found somewhere says it has a 5/32 dia forestay. I ordered the FF1, sans extrusion....got a new extrusion where I work left over from a previous order, so only would be returning hardware. I called CDI, they werent worried about a posible 1/32 larger diameter. Getting the boat next week, so maybe I can try fitting it.....seems like someone must have put a CDI FF1 or FF2 on a C18

Jun 25, 2004
I think it’s a name thing. The Capri 18 got renamed somewhere around 2000 to Catalina18. Same rig, same hull, same sails.

I’ve sold a few FF1s for Capri 18s and they fit. The forestay was 1/8” diameter, according to my records. We ask every customer to confirm the forestay size, because we can’t afford afford to absorb the cost of returned extrusions.

Judy B
Retired sailmaker

hinmo1

Sep 6, 2019
Catalina 18 Mass
Thx again Judy - I will have the boat in a week and take a look. Thanks for the confidence boost!

Jun 25, 2004
@hinmo1 wrote:

Judy - working to get my CDI furler on my 2003 Cat 18. Question for you (you have the experience).

My forstay attaches to the mast with a "t-slug" that slips in a slot in the mast. Do you think that is adequate for a CDI furler? CDI wants a toggle, but when I called them they did not seem to excited if I did not have one.

>> The T-slug can articulate w/ 6 degrees of freedom. No toggle needed. if it were a fork and eye, I'd recommend a toggle to prevent strands of wire failing from fatigue due to flexing

Also, I am having a sailmaker cut my genoa and add the luff tape. I measured the extrusion and it looks like its is 6/32in. or wider, so I am going with #6 luff tape. Sound right?

>> Read the manual online. Yes, #6 tape is specified. Your sailmaker *should* know this.

Last - the CDI FF1 maker says take 10.75 inches off the eye to eye luff length when measuring for the luff for the top and bottom CDI drum/roller. Someone else (presion or national sails) said take 18 inches off. Got any recommendations for the final luff length so I can tell the sailmaker the length to cut?

>> I would recommend that you install the CDI and then get measuring instructions from your sailmaker. You sail maker should provide instruction on how to measure. Otherwise YOU are responsible for decisions, and you don't know enough to take responsibility for the final result. Just give the sailmaker the dimensions of your furler that they require, and let them figure out how the dimensions of the sail.

>> The 18" deduction is a reasonable guess that's erring on the side of safety. They'd rather make your sail too short than too long. But measuring is a much more reliable method.

Thanks

>> IMO, it's often more cost effective to buy a new genoa and sell the old one than modify a hank on sail. And you get a sail that's shaped better for furling. We design furling sails differently than hank ons. We add reefing patches, the draft is shallower, etc. We also tend to choose a slightly stronger cloth, for the higher loads when you use it in higher winds. Ask the sailmaker about this before you spend the money to convert the sail.

>> A couple more considerations:

>> You should consider adding a luff pad for better shape when reefed.

>> The clew on the genoa will no longer be in the same place as before. You will need to adjust the position of your genoa track. Otherwise you will not have the right tension on either the foot compared to the leech. That produces either too much or too little twist. Discuss this with the sailmaker.

Judy