Catalina 18 First Sail

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
Catalina 1980 C27 Meinke Marina on Lake Erie
Finally got around to getting a good first sail in yesterday. Winds were about 10 knots and very steady and consistent direction. Was out one other time but it was a drifter. Gotta say I really, really like the boat. Mine is a 2003 wing keel. Good feel stability wise. Had the full main and 130 genoa up. I have a CDI FF2 furler and one set of reef points in the main. With that wind absolutely no hint of being tender. Cockpit feels as roomy as my Catalina 27. As far as pointing ability I'm completely satisfied. I would say it points at close to 45 degrees to windward. I feel this is about the same as the C27. I really never thought the C27, at least mine, pointed as well as it should. Probably the fault of my tuning of the rig. It points as well or a little better than the Cape Dory Typhoon I owned a few years ago. Different boats I know but the Typhoon is really a good sailing boat. I really liked it. I like the extra beam on the C18 compared to the Typhoon. Can accommodate more people. Plus the transom hung rudder gives more cockpit space. Anyway, right now, the C18 is my forever boat. Getting up in years and simpler is just better.

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Congrats on the first sail. My C18 is a decade older than yours and still in great shape.

Where is Meinke Marina? It sounds familiar.

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
Catalina 1980 C27 Meinke Marina on Lake Erie
John, Meinke marina is about 20 miles east of Toledo on Lake Erie. But I keep the C18 at another marina in North Toledo on the Ottawa river which empties into Maumee Bay of Lake Erie. Your in Ann Arbor so where do you sail your C18?

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
That’s a bone of contention right now.

We have an 11’ dinghy that is ideal for the chain of lakes near my home. The c18 is for trailering, which means it isn’t used much. Last year we spent a week in Grand Traverse Bay. This year we are going to Escanaba to sail on the Bays du Noc, hopefully we will get to Muskegon Lake as well.

I’ve thought about Toledo, it’s a pretty short drive.