Catalina 16.5 mast support

Aug 21, 2024
Catalina Capri 16.5 Falcon Lake
Just finished my DIY mast support for travelling. We just purchased this boat and I found the mast does bounce while travelling. Not to say I’ll be travelling a lot but I thought I would share. 2- 3/8” bolts washers and wind nuts, and a scrap piece of 2” ABS Total cost 5 bucks.

Attachments

• Helpful

pgandw

Oct 14, 2023
Stuart (ODay) Mariner 19 Yeopim Creek
Make sure when you do travel that you lash the mast into the support(s). Twice in 2 years, I have had my Mariner mast (24ft 10in long) bounce out of U-shaped supports with sides higher than the mast on what passes for highways in New York and New Jersey. Gravity isn't enough sometimes.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner 19 #4133 Sweet P
Yeopim Creek, Albemarle Sound, NC

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Oldskoolguy
please post a photo how the mast is supported at the transom.
@pgandw gsve you advise on lashing down the mast u shape supports.
May I suggest turnbuckle boot covers to prevent the turnbuckles from damaging the hull.
I was one of the two top dealers for Catalina small boats now retired

Crazy Dave

pgandw

Oct 14, 2023
Stuart (ODay) Mariner 19 Yeopim Creek
Thank you, Dave. Yeah, I figured it out that I needed to lash the mast at both supports, and also make sure it can't move longitudinally either while towing. It never ceases to amaze me how rough our roads really are, and how much effort needs to go into successful towing of our boats.

I also learned to disconnect all stays and shrouds from the boat - the wire would rub against the deck and cabin corners and the like. I lead all the shrouds and stays along the mast to the cockpit, and then lash the ends down in the cockpit.

I appreciate all your knowledge. A lot of Catalina knowledge translates directly to other makes.

Fred W

Aug 21, 2024
@Oldskoolguy
please post a photo how the mast is supported at the transom.
@pgandw gsve you advise on lashing down the mast u shape supports.
May I suggest turnbuckle boot covers to prevent the turnbuckles from damaging the hull.
I was one of the two top dealers for Catalina small boats now retired

Crazy Dave
I just have it resting on the top of the transom with a piece of an old life jacket. Bungee corded down

Aug 21, 2024
Thank you, Dave. Yeah, I figured it out that I needed to lash the mast at both supports, and also make sure it can't move longitudinally either while towing. It never ceases to amaze me how rough our roads really are, and how much effort needs to go into successful towing of our boats.

I also learned to disconnect all stays and shrouds from the boat - the wire would rub against the deck and cabin corners and the like. I lead all the shrouds and stays along the mast to the cockpit, and then lash the ends down in the cockpit.

I appreciate all your knowledge. A lot of Catalina knowledge translates directly to other makes.

Fred W
Here what I have when travelling ..