Cat310 Engine bed

Jun 13, 2022
Catalina 310 21 West Vancouver
Our boat is hull no. 21 and a local boat hull no. 250, Bernie Yau's, does not have the aluminum backing plate as shown in attached image. If there are no others I would assume that a PO has perhaps installed the M12 transmission which has the output shaft 10mm higher than original HBW50. Unfortunately history is lacking on our boat. And yes, I know the new regs. say the primary filter should be outside the engine bay. This is a work in progress.
thanks,
George
Screen Shot 2024-06-08 at 12.12.05 PM.png

john2

Nov 26, 2022
Catalina 310 58 Leimuiden
we have hull 58 and is without the plate. we have original engine and transmission.

Afraal

May 29, 2023
Catalina 310 Flowery Branch
Hull 23, no plates either! @SwanSong qq: where did you purchase the blue hose from the thermostat?

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022
Thanks guys. I'm suspecting (hoping) the HBW50 tranny was replaced by the M12 which needs the engine bed raised 10mm. Going down today to measure if it is 1.46 inches longer than the HBW50

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
2001, hull 160, no plate and original engine and transmission. If the tranny was changed and the geometry was different, the plate is a better idea than raising the engine using the bolts of the engine mounts.
Cheers

Tomusa

Feb 28, 2018
Catalina 310 295 South Portland, ME
2005 no plate and REPLACED M10 WITH M12. Adjusted existing mounts with no issues. Working fine for 4 years. Had no documation specifying change in engine bed.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I am going to spitball here, that the plates are a Previous Owner modification. It would strengthen the original designed bed spreading the forces. It would also allow the engine to sit lower on the mounts.

It would be wise to examine the engine/transmission angle with the shaft alignment in the prop strut.

The silicon hoses look spiffy.

Jun 13, 2022
It would be wise to examine the engine/transmission angle with the shaft alignment in the prop strut.
The silicon hoses look spiffy
Thanks, looks even better with it all completed. Stainless Exhaust Elbow jacket had yet to be strapped on in this image. The clear hose from the PPS shaft seal breather had yet to be trimmed and fit into small overflow bottle between exhaust riser and coolant overflow bottle. Also the coolant bottle is empty because system had not yet been re-filled after the major refit. AND...the fuel filter stays where it is so I can see it every time I open the engine cowl. Not buried way back under masses of cushions and junk that gets thrown in the 'aft cabin'. The extra fuel line on right side of filter goes to the new Espar Furnace and hose is routed clear of the exhaust jacket.
When we took possession of this 310 she immediately got hauled for new cutlass bearing, Folding prop, PSS shaft Seal, etc., etc. The shaft angle was OK and she ran so smooth after. The 3 blade Flex-O-Fold prop performed as good as the fixed 3 blade under power and close to a knot faster under sail. We came from a long history of race boats so having a sailboat with a fixed prop to me was sacrilegious... haha.
SwanSong3.jpg