cat22 engines again 5hp or 8hp????

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rick

Very much appreciate responses about engine sizes. I have available in honda 4 strokes, a 5 hp (without alternator) or 8 hp w/alt. Once again, I may need to motor 15 miles to reach my sailing destination. The 8hp weighs 17lbs more(less than a case of beer) will that much change my sailing capabilities. Am also afraid of overheating the smaller engine. Isn't the alt. also of great benifit since my new boat is wired for it.

P

Paul- ekonkjack@webtv.net

Cat 22 engines again...

I don't think that a 5 hp would overheat any easier than an 8 hp would. I run a 7.5 and almost never use full throttle but when hurried along in a busy channel I can put my hand in the stream of water comming out of the engine and it is only warm and never hot. But then again I'm in the ocean waters of New England. The alternator comes in handy to charge the battery but if you have other means to charge it, good. Bon voyage.

T

Tom

It's All In the RPMs

If you're motoring out 10 to 15 miles to sail you should go with the 8 hp Honda. Either motor will easily push your boat to its hull speed of 7 knots. However the larger engine will work less for the same amount of speed you would get from the 5 hp. If you're going out 15 miles there is always the potential of running into rough weather where the extra horse power could make a big difference. Also there are only so many rpms in any motor. The less it turns the longer its life. Go with the Honda and your life will be simpler in the long run. Good Luck.

R

Rico

All considered..

I tend to agree that in your circumstances the 8hp is the wiser option. The alternator alone can also greatly contribute to battery life span.

A

Aldo

Disappointed with the Honda's 5 HP Engineering

I looked at the Honda 5 HP motor for a a future replacement for my 1979 Johnson 6 hp motor, on my 1980 Catalina 22. I was disappointed. I have had several Honda motorcycles and a 3 wheeler and always really liked their products, but I was disappointed with their 5 hp motor when I looked at it at our marina. I should tell you that a 3 amp alternator is an option on this motor, for more than $100 extra. If you will be motoring for 15 miles, it should have time to do some charging of your battery. The first thing that disappointed me about the 5 hp motor is that it is only a single cylinder engine. I don't know how much it would vibrate, and recommend that you check with someone who has one. A twin cylinder engine seems more reliable to me and should vibrate less, by design. The 8 hp is a twin. The weight of the Honda 5 hp is 61 lbs. My Johnson 6 is only 54 lbs. The end of a sailboat is not the place where you want to add weight. You want to carry your weight in the middle of the boat and low. The 8 hp weighs 79 lbs. The Honda engines also seem big in volume to me. I don't enjoy mixing the oil into my gas, and hate the thought of putting the oil into the water when my engine runs, but I really wish there was a smaller, lighter 4 cycle, 5 or 6 hp outboard built. I have motored 15 miles with my 6 hp motor many times, and even 35 miles a few times, on the Chesapeake Bay. Any properly running motor reaches its maximum temperature after it's warmed up, which occurs in a few minutes. I wish you the best, and if someone knows of a better motor than the Honda, I would like to know about it. As for me, I'm going to take good care of my motor until someone comes out with a better one.

R

Richard

Good question

I presently have an 8hp Tohatsu w/alternator. I have been looking at a 5hp Nissian w/alternator. I trail my boat and the extra pounds of the 8hp mounting at the ramp make a difference. The 8 runs appx. 3/4 throttle with plenty of power. Would like to hear from someone with a 5hp if they feel underpowered.

Status
Not open for further replies.