Cat Cruising

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

claudio selame

I am looking into a cat purchase, namely a Gemini 105M. I sold my 1996 Hunter 430, which I found the perfect size boat for us. However, I am thinking in something smaller, more affordable and easy to maintain for cruising, but with enough room to accomodate two kids and a pet ( and the skipper). That is why I am considering a cat. They go for about $119,000 new. Does anyone recommends such a boat for cruising with a family? How about safety, etc.? I would appreciate any wisdom on the matter. Regards, Claudio.

B

Barry Olsen

Charter One before you Buy

I chartered a Privlidge 39 last year. Impressive comfort and performance but limits on dockage availablity and hauling due to the big beam. Go try one for a week or two first. Barry

J

Jay Hill

Agree, go charter

Try before you buy; it's a good concept. Main problem with cats for extended cruising: They are more stable upside down than right-side up. Not so with keelboats. Cats are great for the week or two in the perfect weather window but make lousy passagemakers; they beat you to death. But that's just my opinion...I could be wrong.

C

claudio selame

Thank you. I will try before..

Thank you for your responses. I have been reading about Cats recently, and the concensus seems to be that they do not make very practical passage makers.. perhaps as costal cruisers they might be more appropriate. Regards, CAS

Status
Not open for further replies.