Cat 34 for near-coastal/short offshore trips? vs Ericson

Aug 16, 2018
Newport 30-mkIII Baltimore
I'm still a few years away from upgrade-time, but can't help looking.. As kids get older I really like the look and layout of the catalina 34 (mk1), seems pretty perfect for our needs. I like the aft head, the separate cabin with 2x kids (ages probably 5-11+ during our ownership). Big galley and head/shower, dinette table. Design just seems very clever, for lack of a better word. Use primarily on the Chesapeake, but I also dream of some (shorter) offshore trips in the future; e.g. cape may - rhode island (~2 days). Delmarva. Maybe one day bermuda.. I don't love switching boats so would prefer to get one that can comfortably/safely do this, even if it remains a dream for a while. But I also want to enjoy the chessie so no 7 ft draft or minimum 15kt wind boat. Basically want something that can handle somewhat rought conditions (30+ kts?), but nothing crazy. This would be vacation trips, maybe few weeks at a time tops (not capital C cruising..)

Now I do like the look and details of Ericson's, and they are supposedly "more solidly built", though how (or even if true) is not quite clear. Ericson 32 -3 and the 35-3 do look good. The older Sabre 34 also a boat I've looked at, again supposedly has the ill-defined "solid" characteristic.. Unfortunate all these don't have quite a nice a layout as the C34, IMO. Sabre also costs more for older/smaller. Ericson's about same or less than C34, but (except the rare E34-2) just a quarter berth. From what I've seen especially ericsons was about the same market/quality as catalina? Hence why I'm confused when people say they are more solid.. Sabre slightly more "luxury". (oh and there are way more C34's, so easier to find)

Is there any appreciable difference in how a catalina 34 would do under conditions expected here vs ericson or a sabre? Will stuff shake loose in waves, or is that just scaremongering? Will the others be any better quality? Does that even matter after 30 years? I read some mention of upgrading rigging on a C34-II for bermuda trip. I realize this crowd might be biased, but that's why I'm asking; hopefully reasoned responses from experience.
I keep going in circles; like the C34 layout, like the look of Ericson, want something "solid", how solid do I need?, etcetc *headspin. help! ...
Thanks.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018
As a Catalina owner I will say there is a difference in quality of the build between the Catalina and the Sabre. But that quality comes mainly in the interior finishing and ease of maintainence. Catalina interiors are pan/mold done while a Sabre is stick built once the exterior hulls are put together. So it will be easier to do most maintainence tasks on the Sabre the first time. For instance you can access the back of the stanchions on the Sabre with just a couple of screws removed at most. First time I did this on my 310 I had to cut access ports in to get to the bolts.

Like you said, on a 30 year boat does it really matter? Most of that work will probably already been done. What you won't get with an Ericson or Sabre is Catalina Direct (exact replacement parts for most things on your boat) and the owners groups. The C34 owners group is one of the tops in the world. They have a Techwiki with thousands of posts of content of pictures and descriptions of almost every project or problem you will ever have.

Ericson's are good boats. But I have never found anything particularly good or bad about them. They don't appeal to me like the more modern layouts of the Catalinas.

All the models you are looking at have crossed oceans and sailed in conditions far worse then you would see with decent weather planning with the type of cruising you describe. We personally have tens of thousands of miles under our keel on our Catalina 310; she has been from Maine to Grenada. So it would be a matter of which one is in better shape.

good luck and fair winds,

Jesse
Thanks!
I really like the support and info about the C34, and catalina in general. Definitely a plus.

Yeah the ericsons kinda seems in an odd place to me. Appears to be similar to catalina in many ways (original target market, quality etc), woodwork maybe tad above (?), but not sure anything else much better. (but online people seem to think so..) And design a bit behind IMO. If I find an amazing one at a great deal maybe I'd consider it, but hard to get excited about them otherwise.

The mk1 sabre 34 also has a dated layout, which I don't think would work as well for us. And I'm not convinced stuff would fall apart on other boats when a sabre would hold together fine. At least not for my use, maybe if crossing an ocean.. I'm having a hard time justifying those drawbacks for "stick built". It's not clear to me how big a deal that is, I don't know enough. Frankly I don't find the sabre interior that nice (visually), I prefer the ericson there.

I guess it comes down to my head tells me Catalina 34, so should probably put that on top of the list;) Sounds like that wouldn't limit any sailing we'd be able to do (vs the others).

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Have a friend who has a Catalina 350. Lots of tankage & robust rigging. Like the layout also.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Yes, even though the 350 has been around for awhile, they have maintained value. Price range is approximately $80 to 100k.

Aug 16, 2018
I don't think that is in the price range he is considering.
Unfortunately no, less than half the price of a 350, or less. The around 1990 C34s seem to go for $25k for a shoddy looking one, $30s for an ok one, up to $40k for some more pimp specimens. I'd be ok somewhere middle of that range, perhaps going up for the right one. The advantage of so many C34s out there is I can be picky. When buying my current boat I was pretty set on a rare model, and only of few come for sale so didn't get the best deal. But at least I learned from mistakes on a smaller/cheaper boat! Next time I intend to take more time looking and turn down the unsuitables..

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Scandium
Sounds like you are investigating. I have sailed on both and have found both Catalina and Ericson boats to be great coastal sailors. I know of boat owners who have sailed these boats across oceans. From a boat basis, my opinion, if the sailor is up for the trip and they have prepared their boat properly for the trip, either boat brand would suffice.

The Catalina 27 is a sister to the 34 you are looking at. One of the resources I use to get opinion info about a boats capabilities is Bluewaterboats.org. They have a report on the Catalina 27. The Catalina 27 Sailboat This may help you in your research.

For the type of cruising you are describing, and the preference for the layout of the Catalina 34 I think you will find that boat brand a great decision. They are well made and they are comfortable. One of our long time SBO members @Stu Jackson is very knowledgable about the 34. I have been aboard his boat and it has all the features you described. Plus Stu makes a great Italian dinner in that Catalina kitchen.

Good luck with your search.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
The Catalina 34 is a great boat design for the coastal cruising you describe. I would have no safety or comfort concerns for that use. We have been very happy with sailing, and accommodations on the two we have chartered.

Aug 16, 2018
Also look at Catalina 36.
Yeah there are some nice of those too. But I like the aft head layout. And the long setee rather than the two chairs. My marina also has slips of either 35 or 40 ft, so that might involve another step up in costs too.