CAT 320 Replacement Cushions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 3, 2013
Catalina 320 Port Carlos, Grand Lake
My wife and I just bought a 1997 320, which is our first sailboat, making us rank rookies.

While the boat is in great condition, we want to change out the interior cushions — either by replacing them entirely, or simply re-upholster them. I really need some help on this, and the goal is to produce an end product that looks factory fresh, absent the buttons. My questions would be:

1. Full replacement
All of the buttons are there, the cushions are holding their shape well, but it seems if you're going to replace the fabric, you might as well replace the 15 year old foam. The fit and finish of these cushions is incredibly impressive, so the new foam has to be perfect. Would that be the preferred option — replacing all of it. Is it possible to find foam (or cut it) so it fits as well as the factory cushions?

2. Quality
Is there a consensus on some of the best shops in the country for this type of work? I would like to use Sunbrella fabric and we would like the new cushions to not have buttons on them — so not only does it have to fit perfectly, there will be some modifications. This whole deal begins and ends with finding the right craftsman to do this work, and I haven't a clue.

3. Bedding
We are also wanting to replace the foam for the two berths. It seems something a wee bit thicker, with at least some memory foam would be the most comfortable option?

New cushions is going to make a world of difference in our new (old) boat — but only if it snaps into place with precision. I beg your counsel.

Thanks.

Nov 18, 2012
Catalina 77 - 22 / 75 - 30 Lake Arthur, LA
Go to sailrite.com. They have a ton of how to videos. You can decide if you want to try it yourself. They have all of the supplies and fabric you need, mostly Sunbrella. When you check out, you will get a $5 per yard discount. I just replaced a large Bimini for about $125 using a heavy duty Singer. It would have cost over $1k to have it done. I did a pretty damn good job and it was my first attempt.
I decided to buy one of their sewing machines and am going to reupholster the whole boat myself. The salon area will cost me about $250 in Sunbrella upholstery material. I will reuse the foam. The correct foam is incredibly expensive. I

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
My wife and I just bought a 1997 320, which is our first sailboat, making us rank rookies.

While the boat is in great condition, we want to change out the interior cushions — either by replacing them entirely, or simply re-upholster them. I really need some help on this, and the goal is to produce an end product that looks factory fresh, absent the buttons. My questions would be:

1. Full replacement
All of the buttons are there, the cushions are holding their shape well, but it seems if you're going to replace the fabric, you might as well replace the 15 year old foam. The fit and finish of these cushions is incredibly impressive, so the new foam has to be perfect. Would that be the preferred option — replacing all of it. Is it possible to find foam (or cut it) so it fits as well as the factory cushions?

2. Quality
Is there a consensus on some of the best shops in the country for this type of work? I would like to use Sunbrella fabric and we would like the new cushions to not have buttons on them — so not only does it have to fit perfectly, there will be some modifications. This whole deal begins and ends with finding the right craftsman to do this work, and I haven't a clue.

3. Bedding
We are also wanting to replace the foam for the two berths. It seems something a wee bit thicker, with at least some memory foam would be the most comfortable option?

New cushions is going to make a world of difference in our new (old) boat — but only if it snaps into place with precision. I beg your counsel.

Thanks.
To my mind, if your current foam is good, reuse it. I replaced skins on my 40-year old foam and the foam was still fine. I have to believe your foam is still in fine shape. Unless its badly damaged, reuse it. Don't go blindly with someone else's word. If a shop recommends new foam, ask to come in and compare your current foam with new. Foam is expensive and could double the cost of the job.

On a reupholstery and new upholstery job I recently did on my Catalina 27, (go search my my refurb I'm the Catalina Mid-Size Boats section) I used memory foam I bought at Walmart, sold as a mattress topper. An electric turkey and roast carving knife is ideal for cutting foam. The memory foam can simply be cut to size and glued onto your V-Berth foam. Reupholster over the old and new foam, making sure to account for the added thickness.

In my instance I used the memory foam for the cockpit seats I built from scratch, but I have zero reason to believe you couldn't do the same for your V-berth cushions to similar effect.

Do you have a sewing machine and any experience sewing drapes or clothes? A reasonable-quality home machine will handle Sunbrella. If you can sew at all you will find with some quick practice that you can do upholstery. While I want to buy a walking-foot industrial machine for other projects, I was able to use a table-top machine from Singer and it even handled the vinyl cockpit job. I have used it on several Sunbrella projects and it handles it just fine.

I understand wanting to hire it out and I almost did so on my boat. I am glad I tackled it myself though, as the end result was very rewarding.

Good luck with your project! Post pictures if you can

Jun 7, 2004
Catalina 320 Middle River, MD
When we got our 1994 C320 it had the original foam cushions and a set of closed cell cushions. We never used the originals and untimately sold them. The two companies that are typically at boat shows are C-cushions and BottomSiders. Ours are BottomSiders and we couldn't be happier with them. They are now nearly 20 years old and in very good condition. We even had them reconditioned by BottomSiders and they came back good as new. We replaced the "hump" seat at the wheel with a custom seat from BottomSiders that is wonderful. Finally, the people at BottomSiders couldn't be nicer to work with. Give them my name "w updike" and they can quote the "hump" seat they made for me. BTW, I have no connection with BS, just a customer.

Nov 17, 2009
Catalina C-310 Falmouth
I'd say contact Catalina Yachts. After a major mishap we had to replace all the interior cushions on our C-310. We ordered replacements from the factory and they are terrific. They fit perfectly. We had ours made in leather, they are beautiful, durable and easy to clean. My guess is that Catalina will be willing to make them without buttons.
As for the bedding, our 310 came with an inner spring mattress which we also had to replace due to the same mishap, it's much more comfortable than a foam mattress and memory foam can be quite expensive. I'd check with Catalina to see if one is available for the 320 and of course what the cost is compared to other options.

Dec 2, 2003
Catalina C-320 Washington, NC
I see that you've already received several responsive replies on the cushion question. On the bedding question, Catalina now sells folding innerspring mattresses for the C-320 that you can hand down the companionway without tools. They are a bit pricey, but not out of line with quality mattresses and reportedly well worth the investment if comfort is important enough to you. There are all sorts of toppers and under-mattress supports that are far less expensive and get mixed reviews.

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
Why go to the expense of Sunbrella on cushions that will never be used outside?

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Why go to the expense of Sunbrella on cushions that will never be used outside?
I get it... I was debating new cushions on a travel trailer interior several years ago. My wife at the time questioned the decision so I pulled out a sample and poured some red wine on it. Two weeks later I wiped it up and showed her the clean fabric.

If you can get past the texture Sunbrella is great even as an interior fabric.

Nov 18, 2012
Catalina 77 - 22 / 75 - 30 Lake Arthur, LA
Sunbrella interior fabric is stain proof, while regular upholstery fabric needs special attention to be cleaned, such as dry cleaning.
And don't be so sure regular upholstery fabric is any cheaper.

Nov 5, 2012
chrysler 26 seattle
i have ultraleather for $25/yard....its eggshell color over 40 yards let me know if you want some.

chris

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
I treat my boats like the inside of my house...I don't want Sunbrella there, and I don't want it in my boats. The OP is on an inland lake, no salt water. I've been on an inland lake in a marina for 16 years without interior Sunbrella, no need, not as comfortable, more expensive and doesn't look as nice. As for the wine...clean it up like you would at home:)

One thing that will help is blocking the sun from getting to the upholstery when not using the boat....some type window/hatch covers.

Nov 5, 2012
chrysler 26 seattle
ultraleather ($25/yard)

are u interested in ultraleather ? i have it for $25/yard. aero_jet777@yahoo.com

I treat my boats like the inside of my house...I don't want Sunbrella there, and I don't want it in my boats. The OP is on an inland lake, no salt water. I've been on an inland lake in a marina for 16 years without interior Sunbrella, no need, not as comfortable, more expensive and doesn't look as nice. As for the wine...clean it up like you would at home:)

One thing that will help is blocking the sun from getting to the upholstery when not using the boat....some type window/hatch covers.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I always seem to have to recover, ahem my wife seems to always have to recover the cushions in all of our boats. There is nothing that makes a tired, older cabin look like new then new cushions. Unless your inner foam is in bad shape or moldy, its not worth the big expense of replacing it. If you do replace the foam, I would not use memory foam. The salesman won't tell you that it gets hard as a rock when it gets cold in the winter. Don't know what your budget is but if its limited like ours, I stake out the Wallmart fabric isles & they stock a few bolts of Sunbrella knock off indoor-outdoor fabric in the spring season. They only cost about $3-4 bucks a yard as opposed to $20-$25 a yard for Sunbrella in their catalog. As long as the color choices are some kind of nautical blues or neutral you can't go wrong. I personally hate all these new euro boats that come out with oranges & greens or whatever colors they think are in, but are the opposite of traditional nautical look. If I recover another cabin (which I'm sure we will) I always wanted to use a blue fabric with white piping which always looks really smart in cabins like Alerion Express, etc. My 2 cents.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.