Cat. 30 is dead about to offer on Oday 32

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JERRY

Made prior offer on a 82 Cat 30 but gave up after the survey found water in the A4 standing for over a year, along with a whole slew of other problems. Everybody on the Cat. forum told me to bail out, and I reluctantly did. Over the holiday I found a 77 Oday 32. I am new to sailing and appreciated all the help from the catalina people. Know I need help about the Oday!!! It is very clean with a newer Furlex roller furling main, roller furler jib, newer Horizon digital electronics(depth,Wind/speed/point,knots), Apelco DXL 6000 Loran, VHF, Autohelm 3000, new cushions with toss pillows, 2 electric heads, cockpit table, Hot/cold pressure water, Westerbeke 30 diesel, Guest 1.5 amp charger, newer dodger, Sureflo 1500 bilge and Whale gusher pumps, 2 oscillating fans, Parachute sea anchor, some tools, spare parts(small hardware), lines, fenders, older MOB horseshoe and buoy, inflatable 2 man raft, Danforth type anchor with rubber coated chain lead and rode, weather gear, old stereo and speakers(some distortion). Problems-mast lights don't seem to work, high pressure natural gas tank sits behind head in fore cabin, bad tachometer sending unit, hot water element bad. No survey done yet, $22,000 and he wants a deposit right away. He has other interested parties that didn't get inside yet, I pressured him for the cabin combo. What do you think??? Should I jump on it??? The only thing I have sailed is a Mac Gregor 25, and only about 4 times. I Know nothing about this kind of boat,Please advise!!!

D

Don Evans

Make Sale Survey Dependant

I think your talking about the Centre-cockpit model, correct? If so, there are 2 individuals I would ask you to email. Both these owners have had their 32's for a long time (actually one of them is for sale)and they can give you far more info about the boats behaviour than I can. I would not want to be pressured into a sale. I would make the sale conditional on the surveyors report. Only then can you trully appreciate the cost to bring the boat, and its associated goodies up to snuff. It sounds very reasonable, given the equipment list but if the engines shot, the rudder is about to fall off or the deck is saturated, its not so sweet. Go to the 32 CC owners listed here on site and email a few of them for personal advice. If you would like to know the individuals I would recommend, email me and I'll pass on their names and addys'. Take care. ps. this edit feature is great. Jerry, I just saw your further post in the "ask all forums" section. I do have a practical sailor review of the OD32 CC's big sister, the OD37 CC. If your interested in seeing this I will fax you a copy, if you email me a fax #. Remember that this is a 37 not the 32 review, but they are essentially the same boat. You mentioned how few OD32's are for sale. I mentioned a friend who has one for sale. If you go to www.yachtsmart.net you will see it listed their. If you are interested in talking to him directly, let me know. Personally, I think the 32 and the 37 CC are great boats, and I can appreciate your excitement. Don Don

J

JERRY

Don need your info to make contact

Don my email is openthebook@cs.com If you e-mail me your info I will contact you by phone or e-mail, I would really love to talk to your friends. If I leave my fax on auto it mess's up my answering service so I have to know about when you would fax. I would love to get the 37 instead but my slip is only a 35' and I'm not made out of money.

J

Joe McGinnis

Purchasing a O'Day 32

Jerry, Sorry about the delay in reading my e-mail. Between work, spring commissioning, a son getting married, and my wife on the computer all the time as she is completing her degree, there is very little time for me to use the machine. I just downloaded 19 new messages tonight. I read your request for info on the O'Day 32. That boat seems to be well equiped. She sounds like she has some minor problem$ that can be addressed with some time, elbow grease, and cash. I strongly recommend a survey. The owner wants cash now! Why? I would want to know why the natural gas tank is located inside the cabin and not in the lazerate. Check with your insurance agent on that. The boat is big and comfortable. She is very seaworthy as a coastal cruiser. She is not a racer; averages about 4 - 5 knots under sail or power. For the most part she will sail upright (less that 15 deg. heel). She has one hell of a weather helm. I put in a single reef if wind is above 12 knots, and more if wind increases. Have sailed Paradise in 16 knot winds with full sail. Achieved 6+ knot at about a 13 deg heel, but had wheel about six inches off center. We have a 150 gennie on board at full sail also. Have motored thru a 64mph squall and felt very safe. Thank God that squall was short lived, and didn't have to put up with high seas. Prop walk is severe in reverse. Pulls like crazy to starboard. Best to walk the boat as far out of dock as possible to get some water running over rudder, and give short burst to transmission to get going. Engine is a gem. I have about 1700 hrs. on original. Sips, does not gulp fuel. I do have to replace glow plugs this year. Surface is free of spieder cracks, but I will have to replace a piece of core on the foredeck as it is delaminating. We have one electric toilet forward. The aft cabin has portipotti. Alcohol stove from Kenya works well and the company offers strong support should you need anything. There is a supplier of parts for the boat too. The gentleman used to be the purchasing agent for O'Day, and when the company went out of business, he bought the inventory. I think he has a link on the O'Day owner's web. Are my wife and I happy with our purchase? Yes. We moved to this boat from a 77 Catalina 22. We also looked at Catalina 30's, and the resale on this side of the lake is very high, so I shopped around. Other center cockpit that are affordable and in good shape would be the Irwin 32, and the Morgans in several sizes. One thing about boats, they are like houses: there is one for sale on every corner. Keep your eyes open, read lots of magazines & books so you know what you are looking for; read the NADA blue book on boat prices to get an idea what they are worth, and plan on spending a summer looking at boats. Happy Hunting! My telephone number at work (best place to get me) is 920-831-7820. If I am with a client, leave me a message as to how I can get hold of you and I will return your call. All sails full and bye, Joe McGinnis Paradise Green Bay, WI P.S. My wife just got home, and said to tell you it is like living in a tri-level house: you are up and down the companion way stairs alot in the coarse of a sail, or of a weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.