Cat-30 and CruisAir Carry-On Air, Enough A/C??

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark Magee

Cat-30 Sailors: On my 86 Cat-30 I have been getting various feedback as to whether the 4,800 BTU Cruise-Air Carry on boat a/c would have enough power to cool my boat. I slip in the Galveston Bay area of Texas and August and September get mighy hot and humid. Has anyone down here in the South tried one of these units on a Cat-30? Results? Regards Mark Magee Kemah TX

J

John Mavrovich

How cool is cool?

I'm in coastal NC and it worked well for one season until I installed a 12,000 btu unit in the cockpit locker and ducted it to the galley, v-berth and head. The carry-on will keep you cool in the v-berth at night. During the day you can try to move the cool air into the saloon with a fan. You can only place this unit on the forward v-berth hatch. The unit is rather bulky and be careful not to skin your knuckles or hurt your back when lifting it out of the forward hatch to install it. If you store it in the v when not in use you have to bungee it down under sail. The cover doesn't keep out rain water so you'll get wet while trying to sleep. For the price, it does a decent job. Good luck.

K

Ken (My Time)

Carry On A/C

Hi Mark, I have used a carry-on for three years now. It does a great job of cooling the entire boat at night with the help of two portable fans. During the day and in the heat of summer it will take the moisture out of the boat and make it bearable below but will not cool it like a house A/C. Awnings can also help to keep your boat cooler. Compare this to the price of a built in unit and it is well worth the money. By the way, I am located in Seabrook Shipyard across the channel from you. I have a 1997 Cat 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.