cat 22 what is the largest engine????

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rick

I'm a new catalina 22 owner. I want to motor 10-15 miles to reach my daysailing location quickly. I want to put the largest 4 stroke engine on without overkill. Most of my associates only want to get in and out of the harbor & have engines for that purpose. Please Advise?

E

Ed P. - Orangevale, CA

Don't Waste Your Money !!

If you read the Catalina's literature on your boat, they indicate very clearly that higher horsepower does not equate to higher speeds. You may be able to achieve hull speed perhaps a bit quicker, but you will not go faster. I routinely keep up with other Cat 22's who are using 10HP to my 5HP, and they don't get anywhere faster than I do. If you want some noticeable improvement however, I'd check with you local dealer about changing the pitch of the prop or perhaps going to a 3-blade versus a 2-blade. That might give you a better "bite" when running against a strong current or tide. Besides, hanging a larger engine on the back only adds more weight which will result in poorer sailing performance. Good Luck, Ed P. "See Da Moon" S/N 13106

G

Gary

engine size

Hi, Your inquirey as to the size of an engine was addressed correctly by Ed. I have a 36 Catalina with an inboard @ 21 hp the others with 30 HP hull speed is so close its not worth computing. I had a 27 O Day with a Honda 10 HP and it was fine. I would suggest a "Light" 5 hp to tackle your HP needs. Hull speed would be close and the motor would be easily removed for security, maimtenance,storage etc....good luck

G

Gary Bordeaux

C22 horsepower

I have two motors for our fin keel C22 an 8hp Chrysler Sailor and a 4hp Mercury. I havn't used the 8hp in over two years. The 4 is about .5 knot slower but uses less fuel, is easier to lift, quieter,and doesn't harm sailing performance. If I was buying a new one I would buy the lightest 5hp with a high thrust displacement prop.

R

Rico

Wind in the sails, water in the prop

All of what you are hearing is true. I run a '78 Evinrude long shaft and 95% of the time it is complete overkill. That sort of power is not useful when the wind dies and leaves you wanting in the locomotion department. I can say that a time or two I've got into a situation where the prudent thing to do was drop all sail and motor directly into wind and swells. At these times the extra horsepower was indeed appreciated. If you regularly find yourself seeing the wind in the trees and the sailing bug bites, and you have to motor 15 miles directly into it to get to your destination, I will testify to the usefulness of the extra horse or two. Then again the best thing for you may be to motorsail with the main up. A 5hp. complemented by a main will have plenty of power on virtually all points of sail. Downwind you may even stall the sail, at which point you have plenty in the prop. And it's almost like sailing right off the bat. Just be careful of heeling the prop out of the water. This will rev it and simultaneously run air into the water cooling system. -- Rico

S

Stephen Ostrander

Honda 7.5

I used to have a 7.5 Honda on my c22 and it had all the power I needed. I think anything more than that would be overkill. My only complaint was the weight of the 4 stroke Honda, but it was reliable, quiet, clean, and started easily every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.