Cat 22 keel problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Ken Todd

The keel on my cat 22 is lying at the bottom of the marina. Does anyone know how much the keel weighs? Any tips on fixing it?

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
Keel

It weighs 550lbs. Fixing it is going to depend on what happened, if the bolts just came out then its just a matter of getting a pin the two hangers (if lost) and four 5/16" X 1 1/4" SS bolts (316). Then retrieving the keel and reinstall it. If however the bolts broke, then your going to have to remove the bolts if possible. If they cannot be removed you will have to replace the keel bolt inserts (can be bought at Catalina Direct or Catalina Yachts) There is of course the possibility that the Keel pin wore through the Keel, that will require a different fix, either replace the Keel (there is one for sale here in the classified) or buy a new Keel from Catalina. I know of one that was repaired at a welding shop a few years ago and is used in salt water, its still going. Good luck

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
Retrieving it?

Have you considered trying to get it back? If it isn't worn out (Keel pivot hole can wear through.) To check for the reason that the keel dropped, I'd be tempted to pull the boat onto a trailer and have a look at the keel hanger mounting area. If the hangers are still there with the pivot pin intact, it may be ok to find another new/used keel. If the pivot pin is missing or worn through, then the keel may still be good. If the hangers are not there and th bolts are sheared off the the keel may also good. Is the lifting hardware still attached to the keel? The cable. I know that one yacht club on our lake owns a pontoon boat that is modified to drop and pickup the mooring weights. I think that they use engine blocks and things like that to anchor the boats. But this pontoon craft has a winch system over a hole in the center of the floor that can lift something like that 550 lb keel. Something like that may be available in your area. Another way may be to drag it towards shore with a long line and a vehicle or a come-along tied to a tree if one is lucky enough to have the conditions favorable. I would think that buying a new keel may be costly and shipping may be about the same amount. I found something from another source: A new keel can be purchased from Catalina yachts for about $1100. No matter how you go with this boat now, it can be a lot of difficult work.

Jul 8, 2004
- - Pinedale, WY
Air Bag?

re/retrieval, I suppose a diver could inflate an airbag tied tight(close) to the keel, to balance out some of the 550lb of cast iron to aid in lifting it up and floating to shore. RK

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
Snapped Bolts?

Hi, I think from what I've read on other forums. (Catalina Direct) that the problem is that the metal on the weldement threads isn't very thick and that retapping the metal isn't the preferred option. I hope that these links stay because they are a good source of help for this issue. http://www.catalinadirect.com/forums/fr_topic.cfm?topic_id=6843 http://new.photos.yahoo.com/c22_photos/album/576460762364100680

Status
Not open for further replies.