carpet on inside walls and overhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bob

Inside carpet on walls and overhead smells bad and doesn't look that good. Would like to get some ideas on cleaning and/or replacing.

J

Jim

Carpet Odors

Sounds a like mold and mildew problem, caused by condensation If that's what you have, I suggest ripping the old carpet out and replacing it. A reputable upholstery shop would be the place to go. They could also advise you on good quality material, as well as what to use for clean up before putting the new stuff on. If that's not the way you want to go, then I suggest commercial carpet cleaner with stain removal, deodorizer, and mildew and mold inhibitors. Hope this helps

M

Mike

Think of this.

I ripped the old carpet out of my 25. Smelled bad and in bad shape. I cleaned the cabin roof and painted it a bright white. It looked so good to me that I cleaned up and shortened fairlead bolds, etc, and capped them with chrome acorn nuts. The inside not only looks more spartan and seaworthy, it brightens and accents the interior, is lighter and it won't collect oders the way carpet does. When (not if) you are knocked down, you won,t have that heavy, wet carpet on the cabin roof trying to keep the boat from righting herself. Mike

M

Mark

Oh no...

I do not like the sound of both posts that say something like "not if but when" you are knocked over!!! Is the M25 easily knocked over? Under what conditions? I have been sailing past my "comfort" level for this size boat and wondered what the limits are (mixed on if I want to find out first hand) -Mark '83 M25 (mine for three months so far) Fort Worth, TX p.s. Keel locked down and all OEM flotation still onboard as far as I know.

D

Dave Schiller

possible knock downs

I was surprised by the comment as well. I have been hit by 20-25 knot gusts and had no problem. The boat leaned over, overpowered the rudder and rounded up into the wind. A very forgiving design I'd say. So I wouldn't worry. You will obviously set the sails with appropriate furling and reefing for the wind conditions or approaching storms. If you are paying attention and get hit by an unexpected gust, you can always be prepared to loose the main, the jib (or both), or the boat should take care of itself. I hope this of some reassurance.

M

Mark

Phew...

Dave, Yes, thanks for the reassurance. As my M25 is still new to me I am not sure of the limits and get a bit anxious any time the leeward rail approaches the waterline, the tiller is thrown hard over to maintain course and the boat continues to heel. I have buried smaller boats (16' Sidewinder was my fav.) up to centerline below water on a close reach (almost sitting on the daggerboard to maintain balance and the darn thing moved along like nothing was dragging) but my M25 intimidates me when heeling for some reason. Perhaps it is the larger size and the fact that it has a cabin, therefore it should not be run close to the point of flipping. Only experience and learning the limits will cure this fear but then I can't stand on the dagger while holding the main halyard to right a 25' boat (yes, I am also still skeptical of the "self righting" properties of my M25 with locked down keel. -Mark '83 M25 Fort Worth, TX

A

Alan

carpet removal,good luck....

I have a 1974 Venture of Newport which had the same carpet problem you describe. I think a previous owner replaced it at one time.Anyway,it was glued on with the worlds best carpet glue.In other words it was darn near impossible to remove.After trying everythine else my wife and I took turns with a hammer and chisel.[yes it was on there that good]. So I say good luck to you.If yours is glued on like mine you'll need plenty of time,patience,and a full array of swear words to get it all off.

W

Woody

I hear ya there!

"but my M25 intimidates me when heeling for some reason. Perhaps it is the larger size and the fact that it has a cabin," Or mybe the thought of me sitting on her side, waiting to be rescued as I watch my things float away or sink to the bottom. I came apon a 22 on it's side last week. With the help of other boaters it was righted, but was no small thing. All I could say was, "I'm glad that wasn't me." One of my first boat goodies will be a heel guage, but even then I don't think I will be putting myself in a spot where I can't loose those sheets in a seconds notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.