Caravelle for sale on Yachtworld.com

Feb 22, 2006
There is a 1969 Caravelle, named "Cythera" for sale on Yachtworld.com for $195,000. Great boat with a lot of great pictures.

Bill Merrick
Alden Mistral 981-A
Seattle WA

JayZ

Dec 4, 2007
Hodgdon Bros. Alden Caravelle Seabrook, Texas
another one up on the market. reported as being a hodgdon built but looks like its not to me. nice boat.

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Alden Caravelle 42 / Northern European waters
Seen here

This is 'Pearl', 992H, actually finished by R. Morse Boatbuilding Corp., Thomaston, Maine as 'Triumph' in 1969. Later 'West o’The Moon' and 'Serenity'. Last time she was for sale (Jordan Boat c. 18 months ago?), as 'Serenity', she was also erroneously referred to as a Hodgdon boat; confirmed as 992H Halmatic/ Morse by Nils Helleberg. The hull, deck and house are all by Halmatic: the fully fiberglass version with stepped house. The ports in the raised part have been lowered in height from standard and the wood trim around sides-to-top corner of house added recently. Rubbing strip may be useful, but more than a bit of a carbunkle. Seems to float high. Looks in great condition.

Congrats on ‘Banjo Girl’ jayz.

JayZ

Dec 4, 2007
Hodgdon Bros. Alden Caravelle Seabrook, Texas
Thanks for clearing it up Iain.

I'm enjoying Banjo Girl and hope to for quite some time.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
These well maintained Caravelles holding their value are good incentive for Challenger owners. As a group, the Challengers may be a little undervalued in comparison. Sometimes I fear one of their biggest attributes, their wooden cabins and other structure, have also become a detriment to many. Wood is not as forgiving of poor maintenance as fiberglass cabins and cockpits. On the other hand, wood is enjoying as resurgence in boatbuilding. Challengers are an odd sidebar to that as a glass hull and deck, still, many of their needs are those of the wooden boats enjoying this renaissance.

It seems Challengers could be considered an 80% smaller sister to the Caravelles both in use and monetary value. Every neglected Challenger that is repaired and then maintained should raise the bar for all these boats. It's in our interest as owners of all these older unique glass/wood Aldens to provide this board (with Davids help) to help these boats realize their value.

I believe some of the Caravelles have a wooden cabin. How are those holding up?

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Alden Caravelle 42 / Northern European waters
The wood house on the two Halmatic/ Molich wood trunk Caravelles I’ve seen in person looked very good. The cockpit on these boats is fibreglass. I took this pic of Satori (992G) in Camden, Maine, 2007. See also close up of Cythera’s (992M) house here.

Attachments