Captiva 240

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 30_88-94 Ft. Pierce
I am in the process of refitting a 1986 Captiva 240 and would like to connect with other owners to share information, advice and experience. I see a few attempts at establishing a thread on the forum have been attempted in the past but would like to reestablish a thread if others are interested.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
There were only 140 of those ever built and they stopped making them in 1988. There may not be that many people out there still sailing these boats.

Your 240 has a lot of design features in common with the Rhodes 22. You may find some useful insights by joining that group or contacting those sailors.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
There were only 140 of those ever build and they stopped making them in 1988. There may not be that many people out there still sailing these boats.

Your 240 has a lot of design features in common with the Rhodes 22. You may find some useful insights by joining that group or contacting those sailors.

Thanks rgranger for the tip, I will check them out.

Jan 22, 2008
@bbriley

Thanks for responding, I haven't checked on here for a while and am glad to have found a fellow Captiva 240
owner. I've rebuilt the centerboard and rudder, replaced some of the core at the port chainplate and am currently repairing some of the cracks in the gelcoat and doing some fairing getting ready to paint. I did notice when replacing the centerboard in the keel that there seems to be quite a bit of clearance between the board and the slot in the keel. I'm wondering if this is normal and does it create any issues when sailing upwind?

Sep 4, 2022
Captiva 240 Waverly Hall, GA
The clearance is normal and does not create issues. No centerboard keel is great upwind, but off the wind you can retract it for less drag and adjust it somewhere between full up or down to counteract weather helm on a reach. Also, to reduce drag, it helps to seal the slot. Plenty of info online for installation of a centerboard slot gasket. Where the Captiva shines is off the wind and in very light air. She also surfs easily and will plane downwind.