Capri Omega 14 is versitile

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fred Rose

I have a little Capri Omega 14, built in 1982. It is an open fiberglass boat from bow to stern. There are bench seats built in along the sides. The bow seat is great for lounging under way and is a favorite with the kids. There is a bow locker that has enough room for day sail provisions. Since it has high sides for it's length it looks a little tubby but it is normally a dry boat to sail about 8-9 months of the year around here. The floor is above waterline and usually isn't very wet. It is possible to go out in whitecaps with 4 adults and a cooler and have a picnic. I find this boat to be a good daysailer and it is faster than it looks. Over time I enhanced these sailing abilities by adding a whisker pole for the jib and a boom vang and a tiller extension for single handing. I added a transom fold up boarding ladder that I made from aluminum bar stock with ABS Plastic steps. I am 62 years old and weigh about 160lbs. I am experienced with a good variety of small sailboats. I have no trouble singlehanding the Capri 14 in winds up to about 16mph. Above that I douse the jib and sail on main alone. I have a reef in the mainsail but don't use it very often. I have turtled this boat a few times and I can just manage to bring it back upright with my weight alone. Usually it is very well behaved and easy to handle in the gusts. For the calms I made a pair of oars that have curved shafts that fit neatly in the bottom along the benches in brackets that I bent out of aluminum strap. The oarlocks are fixed because you can't feather the curved shafts while rowing. They fit into brass sockets that I turned and mounted in the sides just aft of the adjustable jib cleats. The boat rows well with the mast up as long as there isn't strong wind. This fall I will have a 20 lb thrust electric trolling motor to play with. Might be good for fishing up the creeks. The motor will have a clip on plywood bracket to augment strength of the transom. I salvaged it about 12 years ago and rebuilt the mahogany wood from the scraps that remained. The sails were good and the lines were fine. The mast is not original. I replaced the bent mast with straight one that is 8 inches taller. This allows the boom to be raised higher over the crew. We discovered that it is possible to raise and lower the mast at anchor as well. This means that you can quickly launch at a crowded boat ramp, row out a ways, drop the anchor and rig the boat for sailing. All in all this boat grew in favor with me over the years and my family considers it a "keeper" because it can do so many things beyond just racing. Fred Rose - fpx10@hotmail.com

J

juddee27

Love Capri 14's

A Capri 14 was our first boat back in the early 80's. It was a great boat for learning the fundamentals........and it was forgiving of learning errors. In the mid-90's we ordered another Capri 14.2 delivered to Kuantan, Malaysia where we lived for five years. Recreational sailing was in its infancy in SE Asia, and the Capri was enjoyed by many of our friends and neighbors there on the South China Sea coast. We've had other larger boats over the years, but the Capri daysailers are remembered most fondly for their kind introduction into the pleasures of sailing.

Status
Not open for further replies.