Capri 26s....the stealth sailboat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brad Williams

Ahoy all. I'm new to this site, just stumbling upon it. I'm currently saililng a Cat 22 with the hopes of finding a Capri 26 to step up into. I can find few for sale on the various e sites. Even on this board, I see very little reference to the 26 in the archives. Does anyone know why that might be? They are currently (temporily?) out of production, but I understand they were built for at least 10 years. Yet, someone else told me that only 350 or so were made. Does that sound right. If anyone has any insights on the boat (reviews, where to seek additional info, or whatever), I'd appreciate hearing from you. Thanks, Brad

N

nate

capri 26

Brad, I have also considered the Capri 26. you can find more information on the capri 26 website. i don't have the address but it is linked off the catalina company web site. I've asked several people about the boat while i've been looking over the past 2 years. responses have been mixed as to the boat. it seems that it fits into a niche that isn't there anymore. right between a 25 and a 27. I personally like it, the extra beam seems to really open up the interior and the phrf rating is good. it came in inboard and outboard, fin and wing keel. one disadvantage that was specifically mentioned to me was the distance of the outboard from the cockpit, due to the reverse slope of the transom. someone said you had to lean over the back so far while motoring that you couldn't see where you were going. I don't have first hand knowledge though. the main disadvantage i believe was the cost of a new one.. about 50k near the end of production. too far above the c250/h260 and not far below the c270. it appears to me that the used prices make it a bargain, because a good one can be had for 20-30k (inboard), or 16-22k (outboard) Let me know if you get one, i'd love to know how you like it. nate

B

Brad Williams

Nate, thanks for the response

A friend (now moved away) had one -- never complained and I never noticed a problem with the OB and big transom. It's a good observation however. They aren't currently manufacturilng the 26 so when I checked Catalina's site, it isn't there. I understand that the 26's will be back in 2002 -- all with wheel steering. Don't know how good my source is. I'll certainly let you know if I find the boat. But you say you've been looking for a couple of years? Are they really scarce, are you very selective? Also, I've been searching the biggies like yachtworld and boattraderonline, plus some smaller ones like sailnet and boatnet. Got any great sites that I'm missing. Thanks, Brad

N

nate

capri 26

Brad, try www.soundingsonline.com/, www.fwboats.com/ www.ablboats.com/ www,zboat,com/ www.internetboats.com/ www.boatsbuyorsell.com/ to answer your question about why i haven't found a boat in 2 years.. selective is a good synonym...for tight!!!! I'm new to this sailing thing, although i've wanted to for many years. about 9 months into my search for a boat i was asked to be a partner in a catalina 25 with an older gentleman that was having difficulty maintaining his boat. so i have been doing that for awhile now. I am, as a result, not in dire need of a boat. I have learned, however that a catalina 25 isn't what i need. i have an older son that lives with us, and he is with us most of the time. so i need a boat that has more sleeping room available than the c-25. right after i made the deal on the c-25 i found a great deal on a capri 26 outboard with a wheel, but the insides were almost black with mildew... needed a lot of attention and cleaning up, no trailer but it could have been had for 16k. i really wanted to jump on it, but the wife and the finances said no. I am still looking, and if i find a great deal i may buy something and get out of the deal on the 25. i guess right now i have the best of both worlds, a good boat, almost no cost, and the time to find something better if i want. enough of my life story, i know of a capri 26 diesel for sale in minnesota, i know its a long way from you, but it supposedly has a new trailer.. i think it's a tiller, a 90 model ibelieve. he'll sell it for about 18k if he hasn't sold it yet. his asking price is 20k. send me your email and i'll send you the info on the boat and the contact name and number. it's pretty well equipped with a spinaker, 110, 135 and 150 on a roller, i believe. the photos look good. i'd give you the info now, but i'll have to find it again. i can't remember which site it's on. nate jackson

N

nate

Brad, I found his email. it's thomasleeb@yahoo.com let me know if you can make a deal. nate jackson

J

Joe Ford

Capri 26 spotted.....

...in Mission Bay, 2 at Fast Lane Sailing Center. Call information for 619 area code to get number. Both are in good shape on trailers. The older, less expensive one has a lot of racing upgrades. I think it is a very cool boat.

B

Brad Williams

Nate & Joe -- thanx for your help

I'm sorry, I can't figure out the mechanics of a response so I'm posting the only way l know. Nate -- I think I know the boat of which you speak. I talked to a guy -- he advertises on a couple of sites. I gotta have a wing keel -- his a fin. If that's not the one, tell me fast! He is in Menominee, MI. Again, his is a fin...said that he could have sold it a month ago if it were a wing. But I gotta have the wing -- the trailer is a real plus. If it's somebody else, let me know. Joe -- I'm going to call San Diego and check these out. I'll let you know. Be gone (sailing over the long weekend in WY -- I live in CO). Again, thank you both.

M

Mike Wankum

capri 26 Maine

This has been a great discusion about the Capri 26. I've been looking at the Catalina 25, but the Capri 26 seems to be a sturdier boat. They are a bit rarer out here on the east coast. I've got a line on 1993 with an inboard diesel for $26,500 in Maine. Any advise on this price. The boat is being marketed as in great shape, but I haven't seen it yet. Also, any problem points I should have the surveyor pay close attention to. Thanks for the advise. Mike

N

nate

capri 26... mike

Mike, unless you specifically want a 93 model i'd look for another.. sounds a little high unless it is really loaded.. check out the NADA site and the BUC site for price information.. i think you'll find another for much less.. for about 5k more you can buy a 94 or 95 270 LE down the coast in savanna Nate

N

nate

capri 26... mike

Sorry, forgot to answer part 2. I don't know of any specifics to have a surveyor check.. but i'd sure want to know the engine was in great shape.. also, you might make a ridiculous offer and see if you get the boat. most of these capri 26 boats stay on the market quite awhile.. i'm sure the seller is aware of that fact. i've been told that an offer of 2/3 of the asking price, or less, often gets the boat (regardless of brand) nate

M

Mike Wankum

Many thanks

Nate, many thanks. You're probably right about looking at a 270. The Capri 26 may be to much of an orphan boat. If you make it up the coast, stop in Scituate Harbor. Mike

B

Brad Williams

Mike, I don't know of any particular concerns

but just a couple of thoughts. I think the 26 is a great looking and sailing boat. It is pretty beamy (9'10") which makes it difficult to trailer w/o a permit. A friend described it as the "smallest boat that you can't trailer" -- he was against it and said to get a 27 or 28. I'm not entirely sure that I subscribe to his thought process .... yet. I can find almost no boats with trailers and haven't found one wing keel available with trailer (although I havel run across one or two on the various webb sites, but calling on them, I found that they were sold -- like a year ago). This may or may not be of any concern to you. But....I did call TrailRite, the folks who make trailers for Catalina/Capri. They suggested that a new trailer would run me around $5,100. I find the Capri 26's just a little pricey as compared to the Blue Book values listed. Example: a '93 diesel is listed for either $17,850.....$22,900....or $25,900 (giving the three general conditions of Below Average, Average, or Above Average condition). Sounds like the boat you are looking at isn't that far off the mark if it is indeed "above average" -- whatever that means. Good luck. Brad

B

Brad Williams

Joe, I called the Fast Lane folks.

Talked to a gal who answered the phone. At first she didn't recall any Capri 26's at all. I told her that I just received a "sighting report" and she suggested that they had one a couple of weeks ago, but that it was gone. Thanx anyway. Sorry for being so long in my reply....took a 5-day sailing trip, sure wish it could have been in a bigger boat. Brad

K

Ken Fulton

I've got one!

Brad, I have a beautiful 92 model that is for sale. It is listed on the bucnet.... It has an outboard, wheel steering, and I've added teak cabinets to the main salon. I've loved this boat. It sails great, has lots of room and has been very little trouble in any way. We're getting into cruising that is more extended and looking to move up a little, but this is a GREAT weekender. Good luck

N

nate

ken fulton

ken, how much are you asking?? do you have photos you can email to me?? willienate@prodigy.net thanks, nate jackson

B

Bill

Capri 26

I bought a '94 Capri 26 with trailer last Sept. for $23K the boat had 90hours on the inboard Diesel. It has been a great boat and I look forward to many more years of sailing it. Good luck with your search.

Status
Not open for further replies.