Capri 25 Pointing

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe M

After quite a bit of searching for a club racer for the very lite wind Salem area, I thought that I had found one in a Capri 25. It seems perfect with its lite weight and large sail area, however,I have now been told that the Capri 25 does not point very well and that its strong suit is running. I will be racing PHRF not one design. Can anyone shed any light on this? Is this something that can be overcome? Thanks Joe M jm13169@aol.com

D

Dan

Merit 25

We usually endure light air races here, and there's a Capri 25 that does well in our club, but the Merit 25s seem to prevail most often.

B

Bayard Gross

I have ben in PHRF races with a Capri 25

I race in PHRF races which frequently have a Capri 25 in them. I think their pointing ability is fine. However, I have noted times when for whatever reasons, perhaps a change of skippers, the Capri 25 did not sail well. Usually this seems to be under light wind conditions. However, it is much faster than a Catalina swing keel 25 that particip[ates in the races as well. I tend to concur that the Capri 25 will do well running, but again, a lot has to do with the skipper and his ability running the boat. Pound for pound, the Capri is designed for speed, and I would think it would be a good choice for a PHRF race. If nothing else, you'll get first picks on dinner.

R

Richard

Sails

I think you should look to your sails, If they are old and stretched you will not be able to point well. I have sailed againts a Capri 25 and they sail good up wind with good sails, I have a capri 22 with new Ullman racing sails, and I'm very happy with it.And I very happy with Ullman sails. It's has to be your sails or your tuning of the rig if your sails are new or newer. Rich

J

Joe M

Thanks Richard and everyone else

Thanks for the info No this is not my first boat, I've been sailing for many years and am very aware of the value of sails in performance. The reason I've been asking for advice is that my racing experience until about 3 years ago was strictly with lasers, and I did quite well. I decided to go to larger boats and PHRF racing and unfortunatly I picked the wrong boat for this area (Hunter 30). The winds in the Salem area are mostly lite and to be competitive you need a lite displacement boat with quick acceleration a very good pointing ability. I think the Capri 25 has most of these qualities, however, none race in New England PHRF, so it has been difficult to get any performance comparisons. I do think I will buy the Capri and try it, at worst it has got to be competitive by looking at its numbers. By the way it does have a set of Mylar/Dacron laminated sails and although not new, they are in very good shape(the boat has not been raced recently) and Doyle has told me they can be recut. Thank you very much for the info. Joe M.

T

Timm

Capri Pointing

Hi, I just bought a Capri 25. The only things which I have heard negative is that the keel has been rumored to be a bit thin, which means that it may not develop as much lift as it should. But with the Masthead rig, they do really well in PHRFs were there is light air. I have heard stick with either a 155 or go to you jib, 125-135s tend not to tack as easiliy. There is a good class site with lots of information. Also Nuclear sails (guy who runs loft I think sails a Capri 25) has some very resonalbly priced nice racing sails. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.