Capri 22's with Sliding Goosenecks

Feb 7, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 MKII 1097 Grove, OK
Has anyone out there seen or have booms with sliding gooseneck? When did Catalina stop using them on Capri 22's? Any reason to not convert to fixed?

Thanks,
Jim

Jul 28, 2016
Yep, cut-off was in the mid-90's. I do not understand why there was ever a reason for a sliding gooseneck, but my '89 had one. Catalina Direct has a retrofit kit available, but the P.O. of my boat simply drilled and tapped two holes in the base of the sail track groove. Installed a socket head cap screw in each hole with the slide captured between them, effectively locking the gooseneck in place.

I have a boom vang and Boomkicker on my boat - neither of which will work properly with a sliding gooseneck. Not really sure of why anyone would want a sliding gooseneck in the first place.

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
My 81 San Juan 21 and both of my 89 Capri 22's had/have sliding goose-necks. Well, I guess with the sliding goose-neck one does not need a Cunningham .... Any advantage performance advantage ??? Easier to "break down" the rigging when dropping the mast ??
Hershey

Feb 16, 2017
It's all a disadvantage to have a sliding Gooseneck. for multiple reasons:
  • Safety
  • harder to replicate luff tension
  • changes angle of attack for Boom Vang
  • If sails are designed correctly when a sail is lower the luff curve does match design.
  • For a Capri 22, it almost put the boom in the cockpit
  • A lot of friction and harder to adjust luff tension
  • A sliding gooseneck is weaker

I think ya'll get the point! There is no real advantage to having an adjustable Gooseneck

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
Anybody have the ideal measurements where the boom should be attached to the mast? Seems if you wanted to make it a fixed position, just put a sails stop above and below the goose-neck. One advantage I see is that when the mainsail is furled you can raise the boom higher, giving more headroom in the cockpit.

Jul 28, 2016
Based on information found on Catalina Direct, I would say that the mid-point of the boom should be ≈ 17.75 inches above the base of the mast. I am basing this on the location for the fixed gooseneck mount that they offer.