Capri 22 wins at High Sierra regatta

Jul 9, 2013
After six years of racing at the Fresno Yacht Club's High Sierra regatta on Huntington Lake, KUDZU finally pulls it off and wins in PHRF C (190+ rating) against a mixed fleet of three Santana 22s, Coronado 25, Holder 20, Hunter 216 and Catalina 22. We've been as high as third before (2008 and 2012) and as low as seventh in a fleet of 10-15 boats, but this year we managed to win the three races by using our 135% instead of the usual 155% genoa. High altitude breezes at 7,000 this year were between 8 and 12 mph with the random gusts to 18 or 20, hence the smaller headsail choice.

Saturday saw white caps on the lake for both races and we were bobbing through chop upwind, wetting the foredeck and surfing some of the 'waves' downwind, hitting 8+ mph on a couple occasions downwind and averaging between 6 and 7 mph upwind. Fun times for the three of us that have taken this 6 hour trip south each year. We may have finally started to figure out this lake's wind patterns.

The Holder 20 was around us all the time - maybe a bit faster upwind but we passed them on each downwind leg, finishing boat-for-boat ahead of the faster rated Holder (192 to my Capri 22 NorCal PHRF 204 certificate number). The Coronado 25 was second (PHRF 228) and the Catalina 22 (PHRF 270) took third although we hardly saw them on the race course, but we owed them nearly 8 minutes on the 90+ minute 7.1 mile courses. We were fouled at the start line by the Hunter that T-boned us with 30 seconds to go to the start. They did their 720 on the course later, but that didn't get us back to the place we wanted to be on the start line at the gun or get us our lost minute crossing the start line! We still managed to eventually catch and pass everyone by the final of the six legs and just barely corrected for three bullets in three long races.

Jerry
1985 Capri 22 #155 "Kudzu"
standard rig, fin keel

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
Just curious. Do you use the inboard tracks or the outboard tracks with your 135% ?
I do not have any inboard tracks on my boat.

This 4th. of July I had two 12 years old from my club's youth sail program crew for me. Neither had been in a keel-boat before the race. Only Opti's! Left my mooring with my 150% hanked on. Realizing it was too much, I put one of the Jr.'s on the tiller while I went forward and changed to a smaller headsail. ( We all had life vests on. ) Gave them a very quick lesson on using the winch. Later realized we could pull it in without the winch handle. All three of us pulling.

It was quite windy --- 15-19 kts. Whitecaps. Well, we finished ... coming down to the last mark before heading to the finish line on a broad reach we ran parallel to a Pearson 26 and a Catalina 27 tall mast. Was able to pass the C-27 on the last upwind leg as he was way overpowered. The P-26 pulled ahead. I was very-very glad I changed to the smaller sail. Came close to burying the rail once or twice. Rounded up ( but not over) once or twice also.

The Jr. sailors had a sail to remember. :)

The Bigger boats killed us in the overall. J-30, J-34, J-92, Catalina 30 ...... but it was still a fun day.

Hershey

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
Congrats Jerry.

FWIW, I sold my racing 155 (nearly new) and pretty much just use the 135 and the blade. Not that I race. 135 seems about right for most conditions.

Jul 9, 2013
The standard tracks are too far aft for the 135 and the cabin top tracks are too far forward/inward for it as well (only a blade runs well from the cabin top tracks). I installed a barber-hauler-like contraption that is strapped small block that has a line with a medium block through which the 135 sheet runs through (on each side, right at the junction of the aft end of the cabin top and side flat area) in front of the genoa tracks by about 9 or 10 inches. This line is adjustable with a clam cleat on the side of the cabin top. This allows pulling down on the 135 sheet when it goes to the normal genoa leads to the winches, adjustable by loosening the line as if moving a car rearward.

Let me know if this description makes sense. Maybe a picture would be better....

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Description is - too confusing for an old man like me :) For a start I have to measure my smaller sail to find out what size it is. 110, 120, 135.

Sounds like those inboard tracks are not too much use for anything other then a blade. Possibly some other racers will chime in on their use of a smaller headsail..

While I am at it. What PHRF system do you use? Time on Distance or Time on Time ?

And Finally --- Congratulations on your fine performance.

Hershey

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Nice Job Jerry! Those are some fast boats to beat!

Jul 5, 2013
Good discussion,

I just recently added some inboard tracks; they make all the difference with my jib. It’s interesting to hear another Capri owner complain about the 155. I have only had my boat for two years now and last year I sailed almost every race with the 155. The boat pointed poorly and way to overpowered. This year I have sailed the jib for every race and have seen a dramatic improvement in speed, pointing, and weather helm. I was under the impression that the bigger the sail the faster you go, but I am learning that is so far from the truth. I considered getting 125-135 but I don’t think I will gain anything from it.

Can you take some pictures of your 135 set up, I am having a hard time visualizing it as well.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
The 155 is strictly a light air sail for the Capri 22 (say less than 10 knots wind)... if you can't keep the boat on it's feet, and are getting more than 15 degrees heel... then you are overpowered.
The fractional rig of the Capri 22 requires you to drop headsail size faster (in larger increments). Which sounds like what you are noticing.
The OTHER option is to keep the sail up and get more people on the rail (see keeping it flat).
Tiller angle should tell you if you are flat enough. If you are +5 degrees on the tiller, you aren't flat enough (if you are flat enough, and you still have that much tiller, then you probably have a rig tune problem, check in column first, then check rake, rake is a sail manufacturer cut number, so depends on who made your sail, not by generic rig tune settings).

Point will always suffer with a larger headsail... you can put up the blade and sheet inside the shrouds (assuming you've flattened the heck out of your mainsail draft). If you have the fin keel and nice shaped mainsail, and a blade with good shape, it better point like an arrow, or your rig tune is all wrong.

I've been putting in MANY MANY hours experimenting with rig tune, settings, and sailing in all kinds of conditions lately, sorry I have technical overflow right now. Ignore me I'll likely change my tune after more experimenting.

I just think that the Capri 22 tall rig with a fin keel HAS to be a killer PHRF boat.

Jul 9, 2013
Here is a quick shot of the 135 genoa lead set up on Kudzu. The normal genoa track was too far aft to work well with the 135 and the cabintop track only works with the working jib. So we fashioned a way to get the angle where we wanted it for the 135 by a sort-of barber hauler configuration. I mounted a block on the cabin side that we run a line through that has a block on the end of it. This line is pulled in/out to raise/lower the angle of the 135 genoa sheet with a side mounted clam cleat. The normal genoa car and winch are still used, just this "adjuster" is in front of it.

Attachments

Jul 9, 2013
Hershey,

Does my picture help you to 'see' how I'm getting the genoa lead where it would be with a closer/more forward track?

Jerry

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Jerry;

I see it now. Unique I must say. I doubt I would do it. But to each their own I say.

Keep up the good work and thanks for the photo's. A picture is worth 1,000 words they say.

Below is my system for making trailoring easier. Instead of having some one telling you to back up 2-3-4 more inches when you have the tongue extended and want to put it back in place. I just slowly back up until I hit the stop. Then put the pin in.

[attachment=0]Tounge-Stop.jpg[/attachment

by the way Jerry, my complete name is Roy Hershey Lewis

Hershey

Attachments

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
Just as a point of reference, with my tall rig I'm competetive with a Wavelength 24 on a downwind run or reach. Once we head upwind they kick my *ss, mostly because they can point higher, even if I'm running the blade. I've heard it's a masthead rig vs fractional thing.

I've thought about using the twings on my 155 but I use it so rarely (it's the factory furling one) that I haven't done it yet.

Still trying to decide what foresail I'm taking on the trip to the San Jauns. Furler gets the 155 out of the way for anchoring but the sail is big and not my favorite. The 135 and blade take up valuable space in the v-berth and are underfoot for anchoring unless I shove them down the hatch. I'm leaning toward taking my normal sails.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
I am masthead Chris, and compete with all fractionals in my class... I can say there is one daggerboard S2 7.9 that can outpoint anything on the planet, and both J/24s can point as good or better than me. The J/22 is hit or miss.

My point is, how close to windward you can point is a factor mainly of rig tune... and a close second is trim (this of course assumes you've faired your foils and your sails are decent).

Jul 9, 2013
Hershey,

For my fin keel, I detach the trailer and let it go into the water about 30 feet until Kudzu floats off. I then retrieve the trailer, chock it, and USING MY REAR VIEW CAMERA I got 6 or 7 years ago from Kragen for $75, reattach back on the ball - very slick! The Admiral says it was money well spent as I'm not pestering her each time I want to take the boat out of our yard to help with hooking up.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina Capri-22 Carlyle / Carlyle Sailing Association, Carlyle IL
csinnett said:
Just as a point of reference, with my tall rig I'm competetive with a Wavelength 24 on a downwind run or reach. Once we head upwind they kick my *ss, mostly because they can point higher, even if I'm running the blade. I've heard it's a masthead rig vs fractional thing.

I've thought about using the twings on my 155 but I use it so rarely (it's the factory furling one) that I haven't done it yet.

Still trying to decide what foresail I'm taking on the trip to the San Jauns. Furler gets the 155 out of the way for anchoring but the sail is big and not my favorite. The 135 and blade take up valuable space in the v-berth and are underfoot for anchoring unless I shove them down the hatch. I'm leaning toward taking my normal sails.
I'm not sure if I'm stating the obvious here or not but, from what I understand you want to rake your mast as mush as you can to get better point. I have my forstay turnbuckle out as far as I can get it and I point pretty well.

Best regards,
-John