Capri 22 shoal draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul

Doing research on the required trailer for a 22 Capri with a shoal draft. I can only find information on the 3.5' fin keel. What am I missing Thanks

G

George

3.5 Fin?

Be careful with the measurement of 3.5' for the fin keel or working from it as a baseline to adjust for the shoal keel (by which I assume you mean the wing keel). I believe that the fin keel on our Capri 22 is bigger than that. I know we draft 4'2" plus. If you simply measuring the keel itself perhaps it is 3.5' after subtracting the hull to waterline portion. In any event, you might want to get ahold of Trailrite, the people who sell the trailers to Catalina for the Capri 22's. George

P

Paul

George thanks for the help

George the depth of the keel from the bottom of the boat is 17 inches. Is this the fin keel it is not a wing keel. I have a picture if you give me your email I'll send. I'm trying to price a trailer but want to make sure it is properly fitted to the boat I'm looking to buy.. But It is not the wing keel and not the swing keel but seems short for the normal fin heel unless it was a custom job or it was damaged. Thanks for the input I'll see if trailrite has any thing on it. Paul

A

Andy Jones

The Capri 22 has been manufactured with 3 different keels; the wing, the fin and the shoal draft. The only ones currently being manufactured are the wing and the fin. At 17 inches it sound like you have the shoal draft keel. Catalina only manufactued this in the first couple of years of the design and was dropped in favor of the wing keel. Not much information is available on the shoal draft keel. I know of some one who has a shoal draft and may have the information you are looking for, if you are inteerested

P

Paul

Shoal keel

Andy Thanks for the info If you know someone who has one that would be great. I need the trailer design for the model and also like to understand its pos.

B

Bryan

Trailer Type

I own a 1990 Capri 22 "646" sail #. My keel is a wing and it came with a Trailrite trailer. It is a single axel trailer with a hydraulic braking system in the tongue attachment. My keel rests on a piece of 2"x12" I beilive. My trailer needed new wood and carpeting before I transferred my boat from Texas to Idaho. I have the brake system manufacturer address and was able to get spare parts by mail. I would much prefer a dual axel trailer for this boat as at high speeds and on corners it seems to wag behind the tow vehicle. Let me know what you find out. Mariner22646@aol.com

Status
Not open for further replies.