Capri 22 Bimini

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rick Evans

I love my Capri 22 but, if you've read anything about the Texas heat lately, I can't even sail because of the blistering sun out there. All the Catalina 22 owners cruise around under the shade of their bimini tops but the Capri 22 boom appears too low for that. Does anybody out there have any idea on how to rig for shade? Thanks Rick Evans revans@evans-rowe.com

G

George

Shade

Rick - I can understand your desire for shade having gotten a really bad sunburn this summer on my Capri 22. I can not say that I have a solution that I have tried, and that it has worked, but I have thought about it some myself. There are times that I wonder if a Catalina 22 may not be a better idea comfort wise, but . . . I have been thinking about whether one could effectively acheive what you want in either of two ways . . . 1)reef the mainsail, and then loosen the boom vang and the stop screw in the slide on the mast, and then hoist the mainsail and the boom back up to the top of the mast, and tighten the stop screw right under the boom for some support, and thereby gain about 3' of head room I would think. Don't know what it would do for how the boat handled, but let me know. . . . 2) Buy one of the "tall" masts instead of the regular one that normally is on a Capri 22, and use the same sail etc. I think there is about a 2'-4' difference in height. Then install the Bimini top. A third option occurred to me just now . . Buy a sort of beat up old C-22 to sail on the really hot days, and revel in your Capri 22 the rest of the time. . . . . Good luck

E

Erik

Bimini for Capri

I have a Cap 18 (the 22s little brother) and I would like a small bimini that covers the forward cockpit area. My boom seems high enough for a cover to remain up while underway. The end-sheeted boom also is more condusive to having a top. I plan to design a simple top this fall. Places like Sailrite have materials for building tops. If you have any ideas, e-mail at: esvanr@firedept.net -Erik, Secretary/Treasurer Capri 18 Natl.Assn.

B

Bryan Sperling

In TX, and also hot.

I too am in TX and have thought and thought about how to rig a bimini. The suggestion about raising the boom with the main reefed sounds good, except that the boom raised to high would strike the back stay I believe. I was thinking of finding a shorter boom and sail that I could use when cruising or entertaining guests that can't seem to remember to duck when the skippers hails "Helms Alee" or "Tacking". I sail my Capri 22 on Lake Tyler in East Texas. I would love to trailer to another lake in Texas and join other 22's. My e-mail address is - bsperlin@email.usps.gov ) Would love to find other Cap22 owners in our area.

Status
Not open for further replies.