Capri 16.5 Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Perry

I am interested in an outboard for my Capri 16.5. Does anyone have experience or recommendation on makes, models, shaft length required, and any special mounting requirements? Much appreciate any feedback. Thanks, John

A

Alan Potter

Powering the 16.5

I've had my Capri 16.5 for 3 summers now and I use a standard Yamaha 3 HP outboard on the optional outboard motor bracket. It's used primarily to get me in and out of the port slip area but I have used it also when the wind has dyed down to get me home too. It cranks. It makes the boat move. I'm very happy with the 3 but know of others who want to use a 5. My gas consumption is small and the motor only has an internal tank of just over a Liter. I always carry about 2 gallons on board and have never needed that much. Happy sailing!

E

Ed Lynch

Motor for Catalina Capri 16.5

Key question would be where do you use your boat? Power requirements would be different between small lake, large lake, versus ocean. I just purchased my 16.5 recently and acquired a slightly used Tohatsu 2.5 HP. Nothing special is needed outside of the optional motor mount which if you don't have is a pretty inexpensive option that you can get from Catalina. (maybe $100). I'm sailing small to medium sized inland lakes and find the 2.5 as quite adequate for my needs. This model has just an internal gas tank which should run for about 35 minutes at full throttle, but I never need to run it that high. I also find the motor nice and light (only about 35 pounds) which makes it easy to take on/off for trailering. It's "bi directional" with a forward direction, and it rotates a full 180 degrees for reverse. With the standard motor mount from Catalina, the 180 degree swing is not a problem as it easily clears the transom and rudder. The only drawback is that it doesn't have a neutral "gear". A slightly larger (but more expensive) motor would include this gear. Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.