Capping holding tank bye-pass

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Colin Campbell

I am moving my Hunter 33.5 to lake Ontario, and there appears to be a holding tank bye-pass which goes to a through hull. As I will need to disconnect this line and cap the ends can you help with cap and plug sizes that I can prepare. The holding tank on this 89 boat is 18 gallons which is a little on the small size for my needs, has anyone installed a larger tank? Would live any help on either of these items.

S

Stephen Ostrander

holding tank

I defer to Peggie on the overboard discharge question but I think you might be able to merely disable the Y-valve and be OK. I keep my 33.5 at a marina and use the marina facilities as much as possible, and I've never had a problem with the tank being too small. Longest cruises are usually 1 week but but never had a problem finding a marina with pumpout facilities.

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

All you really need to do is..

Remove the section of hose from the y-valve to the thru-hull, turn the y-valve to direct sewage to the tank, and close the seacock (although not necessarily in that order!). Alternatively, you can replace the whole contraption with a new hose that goes straight from the toilet to the tank. We'll be glad to help you with a larger tank...or, you may find you don't really need a larger tank after you read the article called "Flush With Success" in the Reference Library of the Head Mistress forum. Depending upon how much you're pumping your toilet in the "flush" setting instead of the "dry," you may more than double the number of flushes you've been getting just by following those directions.

C

Colin Campbell

Thanks Peggie

Thanks your sollution of closing the valves and removing the section of hose will work on the short term, I will however cap both side for a permanent fix as if either of these valves were to be hit, I would be in a mess. This boat will spend part of its life in a local charter fleet, they sometimes get six or seven people on board for a week, and with that number of people, even with careful use 18 gallons will be tight and noboby likes to be without a head when you are a days sail from the nearest pump out.

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

Ye gods--6-7 people on a 33' boat???

With all the stuff people inevitably bring aboard--even for a weekend, much less a whole week--they must be packed aboard like sardines! There's absolutely no way that an 18 gallon holding tank would be big enough...I'm not sure a 180 gallon tank would be! If you'd like to give me a call on Monday--800-352-5630--we can explore your viable options.

J

John Vasey

LOHSA

Colin, while this response is not related to your question, just thought I would pass on some info re, Lake Ontario Hunter Sailing Association which we are just forming, if you are interested in joining in, please email me. vaseyj@ihorizons.net TX John Vasey Commodore LOHSA

Status
Not open for further replies.