Capabilities of the Hunter 28.5

Nov 4, 2018
Hunter 28.5 Catawba Island, OH
I'd like to read some anecdotal "data" on the capabilities of the Hunter 28.5. While the knowledge and skill level of captain and crew do play a large part under what conditions you feel comfortable sailing your boat, I'm looking for a sense of just how far I could push the boat.

How many years of sailing experience do you have?

Do you single-hand or have a crew?

What is the most extreme conditions you have sailed in (wind speed, wave height, etc,)?

How were your sails set?

Where do you draw the line?

Thanks,
Alec

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Great questions!! Not much different than my 1987 Hunter 31.

How many years of sailing experience do you have? 40 years chartering with 11 years sailboat ownership since 2009

Do you single-hand or have a crew? Both on my Hunter 31, 386 and now 46; they are easy to sail, tack and jib with little to no crew.

What is the most extreme conditions you have sailed in (wind speed, wave height, etc,)? Generally do not sail in more than 25 knots wind speed and 2 foot waves

How were your sails set? Reefed

Where do you draw the line? 30 knots and 3 foot waves

Nov 4, 2018
Great questions!! Not much different than my 1987 Hunter 31.

How many years of sailing experience do you have? 40 years chartering with 11 years sailboat ownership since 2009

Do you single-hand or have a crew? Both on my Hunter 31, 386 and now 46; they are easy to sail, tack and jib with little to no crew.

What is the most extreme conditions you have sailed in (wind speed, wave height, etc,)? Generally do not sail in more than 25 knots wind speed and 2 foot waves

How were your sails set? Reefed

Where do you draw the line? 30 knots and 3 foot waves
30 knots and 3' seas - you've just described a typical day's sailing in western Lake Erie! No, that's not typical. But, I've had conditions of 3' seas in as little as 12-15 knots. The western basin is quite shallow, and with the reflection off the island shores, waves can build quickly.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Wow with those conditions you can sail anywhere!! Please note the heavier and longer the sailboat the more comfortable the sailing experience is. On a 39 foot full keel sailboat yesterday in the SF Bay with 25 knot winds and 1 - 2 foot waves.............very smooth.

Nov 4, 2018
With my 28.5, there have been a few occasions where the boat nose dived and I've taken water over the bow. The first time it was an "oh, wow", that was unexpected experience. Now I just expect it anytime the maritime forecast is for 2'-3' waves.

Feb 21, 2013
Yeah.....used to pitch pole our Hobie Cat in those conditions in the Long Island Sound but you still manage a 28.5 sailboat depending on your point of sail. Others in this forum can offer more advise on sailing a 28.5 Hunter in those conditions.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
We have a ‘77 h27, so we are a bit smaller than you. We sail in the same area,

How many years of sailing experience do you have? 55

Do you single-hand or have a crew? Mostly it’s the Admiral and I, but we’ve cruised with 4 aboard, and I have single handed.

What is the most extreme conditions you have sailed in (wind speed, wave height, etc,)? 45 knots on Sandusky Bay. 6 footers in 25 knot winds crossing to Erieau. 45 knots on my Sunfish in Key West - that was a hoot!

How were your sails set? Double reef in the main, and about half of our 110 genny.

Where do you draw the line? I don’t plan to sail over 30 knots, but we felt safe in 45. 6 foot waves were fine on a reach. I wouldn’t plan a close hauled beat into 4 footers. We always plan layover days to avoid bad winds/weather.

The key for us is the weather apps on our phones. Mostly it’s about avoiding the thunderstorm lines that are easy to see on radar. The only other idea is to get off the Lake by 4 PM on a hot summer day. Pop-up thunderstorms are possible near shore in those conditions.

Lastly, your 28.5 is can probably take a whole lot more than you can! We are talking about our limits here, not the boat’s.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018
What is the most extreme conditions you have sailed in (wind speed, wave height, etc,)? 45 knots on Sandusky Bay. 6 footers in 25 knot winds crossing to Erieau. 45 knots on my Sunfish in Key West - that was a hoot!

How were your sails set? Double reef in the main, and about half of our 110 genny.
Feeling safe in 45 knot winds, now that's impressive. That would be a bit extreme for me, but it's nice to know that your 27 handled it, meaning my 28.5 should get me to safe harbor if I keep my head about me.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Keep your head - that is key. And reduce sail. I should add that our second reef in the main is a third reef. That is we had minimum mainsail up, so the heel was not excessive, and we could motor sail. In that case, back to our marina!

Nov 4, 2018
Keep your head - that is key. And reduce sail. I should add that our second reef in the main is a third reef. That is we had minimum mainsail up, so the heel was not excessive, and we could motor sail. In that case, back to our marina!
Speaking of reefs, my main sail is a bit long in tooth. I've considered ordering one - when the time comes - with a third reef in it.

Nov 4, 2018
While I've received no further responses since my post of May 6th, I've one more question to ask of H28.5 sailors. I'm adding it to my original self-quoted post.
I'd like to read some anecdotal "data" on the capabilities of the Hunter 28.5. While the knowledge and skill level of captain and crew do play a large part under what conditions you feel comfortable sailing your boat, I'm looking for a sense of just how far I could push the boat.

How many years of sailing experience do you have?

Do you single-hand or have a crew?

What is the most extreme conditions you have sailed in (wind speed, wave height, etc,)?

How were your sails set?

Where do you draw the line?

Would you consider sailing an H28.5 from New England to the Caribbean, and back again, without using the Intercontinental Waterway?

Thanks,
Alec
The final question is really the crux question of using an H28.5 as a coastal cruiser. My dream is to use my boat as such (Given my age, the money I've invested - never to be recouped upon sale, I'm wedded to this boat - and thinking toward my Father's passing. Yes at his age, we've had conversions about his passing.) to spend my summer's along the Maine coast and winter's in the Caribbean.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Red Dog. Boats go from the Coast of Maine to the Caribbean. They just do it in good weather and without a dead line to get there.

Given that you choose safe weather and cruise the coast where you can find safe harbor when the weather changes you'll be fine in your Hunter 28.5. Heck you might be fine in a dinghy with a 8 ft make shift sail.

If that is the boat you got and it is paid for, I say go for it.. And as you say "Keep your Head".

Just promise to send the occasional photo back to us here on the forum.