Canvas coloring

Jul 6, 2013
S-2 9.2 30' Superior,Wi
Greetings all. I am new here, having finally bought our "dream boat". Been waiting a long time. First question; the color of the sail cover,winch covers, and helm are of a color we do not want. I resigned myself to living with it, but was wondering if a person could dye the canvas to another color? It really ain't that big of a deal, but a start at making her,ours. As I stated,we are the PROUD owners of a 1984 S-2 9.2 C. Any input would be vey welcome. Thanks in advance. Bob

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Q. Can I dye Sunbrella fabric?
A. Due to the nature of Sunbrella fiber, it will not accept dyes. Sunbrella is not dyed in the conventional sense that most of us think of dyeing. In fact, we do not use dyes at all. Highly UV-resistant pigments are mixed in before it even becomes a fiber. Fiber is then cut, baled, blended, spun into yarn and woven into fabric.

http://www.sunbrella.com/en_us/how/faq/

Jul 6, 2013
S-2 9.2 30' Superior,Wi
Talked to Sunbrella shop today, (the local marine shop) and was told that very thing. Bad news for us. Will have to make due. Need other equipment more. Thank you. Bob

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
My only other suggestion?

Post some photos and see if someone else wants to swap colors.

Oct 8, 2013
S2 27 Delaware Bay currently
I'm living that same scenario. Rather than restitch the mainsail cover I think it's going to be a pattern.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Don't despair Sailors! All you need to do is buy a spray can of vinyl paint and spray the synthetic fabric any color you want. Spray it on a spot first to be sure it won't damage the fabric and then you are in business. It will refresh the fabric fibers by soaking in and looks great! Chief

Oct 8, 2013
Don't despair Sailors! All you need to do is buy a spray can of vinyl paint and spray the synthetic fabric any color you want. Spray it on a spot first to be sure it won't damage the fabric and then you are in business. It will refresh the fabric fibers by soaking in and looks great! Chief
Now that's worth a shot...a spray shot! :) Thanks for the idea.

Oct 8, 2013
Chief, I'll surely do that come warm dry weather. I've never used that spray on any material and I'm curious about how it'll hold up to flexing.

Jul 6, 2013
S-2 9.2 30' Superior,Wi
That sounds like a great idea. I cannot stand the blue, and with the sand color of the hull, a deep red would work much better. IMO. Do you think multiple coats since changing from blue to deep red. Vinyl paint? Never heard of it. Of course,canvas people never mentioned it, either. Huh. Thank you. Bob

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
It is called a paint but its more like a dye concept and doesn't really get a hard surface on it. I read the can on mine and it says several coats are best. Like I said though I would test it first. Its on the paint shelf in Walmart and many other stores. Changing from blue to red might get you a purple! ha My canvas covers are blue also but thats a good thing as my wife is a blue freak! I'd be painting ours from red to blue! Chief

Jul 6, 2013
S-2 9.2 30' Superior,Wi
We will be going to town in a few days. Will look for it then. All canvas bags and cockpit enclosures are in house, may paint a winch cover for trial. Thank you very much. Bob