can't rase the mast

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dmitri Denissov

Just recently bought a Crysler 22 sailboat. Tried to raise the mast using home made bridles - it doesn't go higher than about 45 degree angle. Posted some pictures, the link is attached. Thanks.

C

campy

mast raising

attach your forward stay to the arm of your wisker pole and use that as your forward mast pull. Take off the 3/4 fix point on both sides of your mast. You'll have some play when raising but your mast will eventually be supported by your port and starboard shroud cables. Go to skip meishes page and the catalina 22 website and you'll have a good idea how it's done. Don't get too technical. My 10 and 12 year old daughters individually helped me raise the mast on my c-22 quite frequently. The whole process took us about 25 minutes start to finish from arrival at the ramp to launching the boat mast up. Good luck. http://www.slowflight.net/manl76.html#stepping

C

Campy

Additional info

I neglected to add that we use the main sheet block and tackle attached to the forward stay instead of having two people on the boat wrestling with the mast. My daughter pulls on the main sheet the lock block which is attached to the forward stay anchor point on the bow. The other block is attached to the deck end of the forward stay. We tried it attached to the wisker pole but didn't like it. I throw the forward stay over my back and lift the mast while walking forward facing aft over the coach roof as the mast is being assisted up by my daughter pulling on the main sheet. She locks it when I tell her to or when the mast is up. I keep only the port and starboard forward shrouds on in order to keep the mast from going to far forward. With the forward stay locked on the main sheet and the back stay holding the mast in a forward to aft alignment and the port and starboard forward shrouds holding the mast in an approximated amidships alignment, I let the mast go and attach the upper and aft lower shrouds port and starboard. Lastly I remove the main sheet block and tackle from the forward stay and attach that to the forward stay anchor point. There are probably a million better ways to do this job. This is the way we devised before we had a computer and before we realized someone had done it before us. We've not had a problem raising the mast just tuning it. Which is another discussion. Good luck to you!

B

Bayard Gross

I'm no expert but,

in looking at your pictures, I think the mast has been pushed too forward onto the base and something, like one of the halyard exit sheaves, is butting into that piece on the mast step preventing the mast from going any higher. Position the mast so the its bottom is directly above the aft edge of the mast step. You will need to maintain this position by having someone hold the mast as it is raised. In essence, make beleive there is a hinge affixed to the mast step and the bottom of the mast and you are raising the mast up on that hinge.

T

tom b

loosen those front shrouds.... undo em...

it looks like from your pic the the front shrouds are connected... ohhh nooooo.. dont do that...

D

Dmitri Denissov

they are not the front shrouds

It's not a part of the mast rigging. These wires should prevent the pole from swinging and they are not too tight.

D

Dana,C&C 30' Mega,trailsailor

Bridle is not right in photos

Your bridle gather point(looks like about 12in off rail of boat each side?) is to high by only a few in., but that will stop you! that point must line up with, were mast step base is ,and were mast touchs it,not the dick pin going in to mast!

D

Dmitri Denissov

Bridle is not right in photos

I agree. This is the most probable cause. I also suspected that, that's why I tried to make some pictures where the gathering point is aligned with the mast step. This possibly can be fixed by attaching the system to different toe rail eyes to lower the gathering point. Thanks. I'll try it out on the next weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.