Can't raise the tiller because the traveler is in the way

Jul 24, 2022
Catalina 22 #6127 Dallas, TX
Is there a mod for this? The traveler is in the way so you can't raise the tiller but a few inches.

Makes it hard to switch over to the high side on a tack (if there is anybody else in the cockpit) - and its just in the way when in the slip or at anchor.

What am I missing?

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
I had a C22 and never encountered this issue. Looking forward to seeing a picture.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Post a photo.
:plus:

You could change your traveler rig easily.
1663650488982.png

There are a lot of choices with strengths and weaknesses, but mostly captain's preference. It sounds like you have a simple bar traveler with a car or pulley that your sheet runs through. Are there adjusters to control the car or does the car move freely from port and starboard?
Here's a link to a GlenL catalog for rigging a small sailboat.
Rigging Small Sailboats - Chapter 5
It's not comprehensive, but it is a great start.

-Will

Jul 24, 2022
Sorry guys. Here's the only photo I have on hand.... I will get some more tomorrow. The blue line pulls the traveler car side-to-side.

The tiller only comes up a few inches before hitting the traveler bar.

tiller01.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020
catalina C-22 4980 channel islands CA
I have the same rig on my 1974 vintage C22. I also have the same issue and would love a good fix!

Jul 24, 2022
Would need that little snub on the rudder that stops the tiller from going all the way to the floor................

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Makes it hard to switch over to the high side on a tack (if there is anybody else in the cockpit)
That is more or less like every other tiller sailboat, when under sail, that has a long tiller.

I replaced the rudder on our 1987 C22 with the nicer one from Ruddercraft, but the tiller sticks out the same.
We could stand in the cockpit and it sat at the correct height for steering. In fact I added an adjustable Forespar tiller extension so that I could easily sit by the hatch, or on the cockpit coaming while steering. Many C22 racers move the mainsheet forward so they can sit by the hatch.

IMAG0863 21754863660.jpg

You could trim your tiller handle shorter, but then, depending on the conditions you sail in, and the amount of load on the helm, that will make it harder to steer.
Edit: moving the pivot forward and trimming the tiller would work. keep in mind that pivoting it up too far when sailing could also be problematic because the load would be trying to additionally twist the tiller handle. but doable when there isn't much load.

and its just in the way when in the slip or at anchor.
Easy to fix if the forward hole in the tiller attachment plate is forward of the traveller bar.
Just get a stainless steel quick release pin of the appropriate size and use it, instead of the middle bolt that goes through the rear of the tiller.
That way the front hole/bolt becomes a pivot when the new middle pin is removed, and the tiller can be pivoted to a vertical position when not in use. When in use, you put the pin back in.
Edit: your tiller uses 3 bolts in the handle.. so you would need 2 quick pins, but you get the idea.

TillerPivot.png

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022
@Leeward Rail - Very nice!! I like the fast pin suggestion.

I'm going to run out to the boat this afternoon... I'll see if that forward hole in the tiller attachment plate is forward of the traveler bar.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks!!

Nice diagram by the way :)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I'm going to run out to the boat this afternoon... I'll see if that forward hole in the tiller attachment plate is forward of the traveler bar.

Fingers crossed.
Hopefully it works. We only used the original rudder twice, so I am not sure how it lines up.

I was able to buy a pin that had a stainless steel lanyard.

Jul 24, 2022
@Leeward Rail - Well...... I just went and had a good look. Appears to me that neither method is going to work because the mainsheet block is right where I want the tiller to go.

Ah well..... I think I need to get over this one, and figure out how 16,000 other C22 owners are hopping over to the high side LOL

Thanks for your assistance @Leeward Rail

IMG_3043.JPG

IMG_3044.JPG

IMG_3045.JPG

IMG_3046.JPG

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Appears to me that neither method is going to work because the mainsheet block is right where I want the tiller to go.
The tiller WOULD be able to be tilted up out of the cockpit, making room for when at anchor. I used to tie the tiller to the mainsheet, and it effectively lays along the path the mainsheet takes.

Is the tiller vertical? No
Is it up and out of the way while anchored Yep.

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
My tiller was straight, not arched, and rigged at 90° to the vertical axis of the rudder. Yours looks like it is already kicked up quite a bit.