Can't get the diesel smell out of my boat...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 9, 2006
- - Cape Coral
We recently purchased our boat and we are having no luck getting the diesel smell out of it. Prior to our purchasing it, the boat sat empty for a couple of years with a diesel leak on it. We have taken off anything that could have absorbed the smell--cushions, curtains, etc., but there is still a strong diesel odor coming from the engine compartment. Short of replacing the whole stinky thing, which would be silly since the engine works just fine and is aparently not leaking, does anyone have any suggestions as to how we could make our boat smell better? Here's what we have tried so far: - Removing anything porous from the boat. - Washing everything down with Simple Green. - Putting out baking soda. - Replacing fuel lines. - Running an Ionic Breeze system from Brookstone. - Cleaning all bilges. - Keeping the boat open with fans blowing through it. Please let us know if you have had similar problems that might help. Thanks! The Barclay Family Cape Coral, Florida

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
OOOOhh that smell

Had the same problem with a pickup truck. I put a fuel can in the bed that spilled. The only thing that cleaned up to where the smell went away was scrubbing it with gasoline. This is certainly not something I'd recommend for a boat where the fumes would be dangerous. Perhaps some other solvent like acetone and a big fan.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
PureAyre

http://www.pureayre.com/ It's the only product I know of that will not only eliminate all organically caused odors, but all odors including diesel.

M

Margaritaville

unfortunately

I hope you got a good deal! Time is the only thing that will ease the smell of diesel. you have a lot of wood in the floors and in stringers and substringers. Diesel has aborbed into areas you can never get access to clean. I would guess you are on the right track. Keep airing it out as much as you can.

P

Pete

Ozone

I had the same problem, but not as bad so it cleared up. I was told that there are companies that can put an ozone generator in your sealed boat which binds with the diesel smell molecules to eliminate all smells. I'm not sure what it costs, but might be worth it.

D

Dan Johnson

Be careful...

with an ozonator device. Ozone (O1-one molecule of oxygen-the smell from a sparking electic device) is an oxidizer that will bind with any spare carbon molecules present (forming CO2) to remove odors but may cause some things to break down because of the free carbon attachment that occurs. In the HVAC business I used one to convert motel rooms from smoking to non-smoking. It does require a timer and you shouldn't be present while its operating. It will remove odors and leave that "fresh outdoor" kind of smell. One solution is to put a new coat of varnish on all wood surfaces to seal up any odors absorbed. Another is to wipe down all exposed surfaces with Lysol or mix of Clorox in water (don't use with a soap in case it contains clorine-that will form a killing gas!). This worked for me on my H34 by removing both the diesel smell and a certain amount of mildewy smell too. When I bought the boat, the fuel lines were leaking after use-now it's just the primary filter O-ring after regasketing all the banjoes. Another solution I am contemplating is adding an exhaust blower (like a power boat) to suck out all the fumes and heat after motoring for more than that needed to raise sails. Unfortunately, with older diesel boats, you will probably have a faint diesel odor no matter what you do. Once minimized you will not notice it after a short exposure time.

J

JIm

This Will Kill Diesel Smell!

Go to Home Depot and look in the cleaner aisle for the air fresheners. Look for a thin orange-and-white aluminum spray can labeled "Orange Magic" or something similar. It's 100% orange oil and will remove diesel smell from anything you spray with it. It also removes oil, grease and all manner of sticky stuff from your hands and anything else better than goop, goof-of, gojo or anything else you are likely to try. I keep a few cans on the boat at all times. Good luck!

E

Ed

this one will stir up the croud!

While eating out on a recient cruise, one of the fellows brough up boat bilge odor and how he found the perfect answer, he went on to say he had a failure of his holding tank and the contents spilled in the bildge, keep in mind we where at the table eating! This guy had a pretty loud voice and was speaking to a table of about 12 people. finally he proclaimed i found the best product for eliminating smells known to man or woman! SUMMERS EVE DOUCHE! I entire room went silent. We all laughed and went on eating. The a really nice lady snuck up to the the table and asked, Was that a joke or the real thing my boat really has a lot of bad odors, its a 90 foot wooden boat! He responded no joke it really works, She said i wonder were i can get a deal on a couple cases of summers eve without showing my face? We all cracked up at the thought of this little old lady asking for two cases to clean out her odors!

B

Bill O'Donovan

I found the source

Your Vision 32 was built during 1989-92 while my Hunter 29.5 was 1995. It's conceivable they had similar design characteristics for the hull. I finally discovered a "hidden" bilge where diesel had overflowed and sat for months. I found this by removing the panel from the center of the aft cabin, where you can see the holding tank and diesel tank. I pointed a flashlight between the two tanks and could see the diesel down in back, way down in back. It took a shop vac and a Rube Goldberg set of progressively narrower hoses to reach in there and suck it out. They I sprinkled in baking soda and vinegar and vacuumed that out too, several times. Two things to look for. (1) The hidden bilge. (2) Any indication that the six screws holding down the sending unit have come loose. When you top off the tank the diesel will flood upward and overflow into the hidden bilge. By the way, it's my hope that someday Hunter assigns someone to monitor HOW and steps in with responses such as mine. We owners spend interminable time puzzling out this stuff when the company ought to weigh in. Peggie the Headmistress is the exception. She's the poster child for good behavior on this point. Bless her.

Status
Not open for further replies.