Can't decide Suzuki or Honda to power New Mac 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark

I have pretty much made up my mind on a new mac, thanks in part to this forum, Im new to sailing and power boating for that matter, I gues at 55 I've finally outgrown those personal watercraft. I'll probably get ost options from the start as some of you suggested, but after the two sales pitches for both motors, i'm kinda leanin toward the suzuki for the fuel injection advantage. But I'll be the first to admit, I'm just guessing. I can't wait to get started and get back to you guys with some real questions.

S

Steve

Suzuki-Johnson clone

I have the Johnson 50hp 4-stroke. I understand that it's the same as the Suzuki, except for the colors and badge. The fuel injection is great if you trailer your boat to different elevations. I go from Lake Tahoe to San Francisco Bay.

N

Norman

I went with the Suzuki/Johnson

The Evinrude, Suzuki, and Johnson are the same engine. I have the Johnson as well, as that is what they are calling them now (2003 model year). Just got my new 26X a month ago. I decided on that motor mostly because of the fuel injection and at the recomendation of most of the people on this and the other Mac disscussion boards. I am very happy with it. I like the white color and I get 21mph on a calm day with 3 people and supplys/equipment on board. Also, I've been following these Mac boards for 3 years now, and when ever people bring up engine problems, it's almost never the Suzuki/Johnson that they're talking about. In fact, off the top of my head, I don't recall anyone ever having a problem with this motor. And as Steve said, fuel injection is great for high elevations. I don't know much about the Honda, but I can definatly recommend the Johnson!

T

Tim Bastian

I have the Yamaha

I have the Yamaha T50 and love it. Easy to start and pushes the boat real good. 20 mph with me my son and wife, two 9 gallon fuel tanks, and 10 gallons of water onboard. Tim Bastian Zephyr's Aura Hixson, TN

J

Jack O'Brien

Suzuki DF50T

I have the 2000 Suzuki DF50T. It probably has less than 5 hours on it. It came with the 11.5 x 13 standard propeller and did 18 mph (GPS) with three aboard and no ballast but only 5400 RPM at wide open throttle on the sea trial before purchase. I now have the 11.5 x 10 Suzuki prop but haven't tried it yet. A fellow owner, Robert Thebold, researched this well some time back and chose the ten pitch. IMHO the Suzuki is superior because of the EFI versus carburation of other brands. It runs like a dream. My only complaint is it is so quiet I have some difficulty adjusting the throttle properly. The Suzuki has a 300 watt (25 amp) alternator which is the biggest of the 50 HP motors. (Yamaha has 10 amps which is 120 watts.) Best of luck.

B

Billy

6 year warranty

Every year so far, during Jan-Mar, Suzuki has given a 6 year warranty (boat show special 3+3). Three more years warranty free sure helps give peace of mind. I installed the Suzuki last year on my 26x and no regrets. As said in an earlier post, the engine is extremely quiet. So quiet that once I raised the engine out of the water, not realizing it was running.

Status
Not open for further replies.