Can it be repaired? JY14

Jun 13, 2015
Oday 14 Silver Lake
Seeing if anyone can tell me if this crack can be repaired. Seems to me like any repair I do in the standard way, plexus (or equivalent) will easily recrack if it bumps into a dock or anyone tries to move the boat by lifting in that spot. First pic shows length between blue tape (about 4ft). Second shows crack from the front. 3rd and 4th are close up of the crack and then with slight upward pressure the gap that's there. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
1000005917.jpg
1000005916.jpg
1000005919.jpg
1000005920.jpg

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I would think that if you clean up the area really well (sand and get down to solid fiberglass on each side of the crack), you should be able to repair the crack with epoxy and fiberglass.

I am assuming the boat and the bulwark is fiberglass and some other type of plastic.

What does the other side (inside) look like…does the crack propagate all the way through?
if not, that is good…
if so, then you would want to also sand down and repair from the inside as well.

I am not familiar with Plexus…what is that?

Greg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Sorry I can't get a clear idea about the crack from the pictures.
The first one doesn't seem that bad. The closer ups don't make it more clear to me. But they seem worse. Fiberglass is very repairable.

Jan 7, 2011
I just read this write-up in Practical Sailor…

I think in your case, adding fiberglass is the key to keeping the crack from cracking again…used with epoxy woukd be my choice.

Greg

Jun 13, 2015
Oday 14 Silver Lake
It's ACP plastic over foam and fiberglass, so not a typical repair, the manufacturer recommends using Plexus to repair cracks or for larger repair, fiberglass with Plexus instead of resin. I've read all the other repair threads on this type of boat that I can find and I understand the theory, create a V groove, fill with Plexus, then (I think) add a layer of fiberglass impregnated with plexus. Just not sure if it will hold up in this location. Thanks

• Helpful
Jan 7, 2011
It's ACP plastic over foam and fiberglass, so not a typical repair, the manufacturer recommends using Plexus to repair cracks or for larger repair, fiberglass with Plexus instead of resin. I've read all the other repair threads on this type of boat that I can find and I understand the theory, create a V groove, fill with Plexus, then (I think) add a layer of fiberglass impregnated with plexus. Just not sure if it will hold up in this location. Thanks
Ok..then my advice is not applicable.

Greg

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
Just saw this thread and yes, Plexus is the preferred repair material for Luran (i.e. Hunter 170) and other plastic material. It is expensive and nasty stuff. Use fiberglass on fiberglass. I imagine Plexus would adhere to it, but I have never tried.