Can I unkink this bilge pump hose?

Sep 25, 2008
Pulled some panels off to do some AC work and found that the manual bilge pump drain hose was really kinked at the top!!! (See pic)
D060B81D-40DA-471F-B1E3-301797BC95A2.jpeg
Any suggestions on how to unkink or remove the collapse? I tried straightening it but the collapsed section remained. Don’t want to replace the entire hose or splice a new hose in. Once unkinked I have a IlU-shaped guide to give it a gradual bend

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sure. But you may no be happy. Plastic once kinked has the memory of being kinked. Hose is not that expensive.

If you use reinforced hose it will not kink.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
You could try straightening it then squish in the pooked out sides and very carefully apply some heat from a heat gun. just a random thought..

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Any suggestions on how to unkink or remove the collapse?
Sorry, I know it's not what you want to hear, but I recommend to replace it or splice with a male to male barbed 90-degree elbow fitting. If you do the latter, you might end up with (one or two) new kinks where the barbs terminate, but the angled fitting will reduce the likelihood of a kink. It will also slightly reduce flow. I'd replace it with a different type of (reinforced) hose that isn't as likely to collapse.

edited PS - I recommend you replace all of those hoses in your picture, unless they are 100% above waterline (even when heeled). Those look to me like they're a weak design and will likely fail at the spaces between the ribs. A different, reinforced type would be better.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
Can you get a washing machining hose plastic bend shaper in that area? They come with washing machines when you buy them, never wear out and hold the hose from collapsing when making that high rise to the drain pipe.
I don’t know why but I have 3 of these things and I’m betting a couple are at least 10 - 15 years old but still will work.
Hardware stores will sell them as a kit.
Look for the one with the sides split so you can slide the hose into it or you’ll have to cut the sides to do the same thing. This way you won‘t have to remove the whole hose to slide it over. Try it.

Attachments

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Why in the heck does your bilge hose have a crazy connection that causes it to kink in the first place. Something ain't right, my friend.

Sep 25, 2008
Why in the heck does your bilge hose have a crazy connection that causes it to kink in the first place. Something ain't right, my friend.
From when it was manufactured. Don’t know if it was like that from the beginning or collapsed over time. There was a zip tie about 1.5 ft below that around them

Sep 25, 2008
Can you get a washing machining hose plastic bend shaper in that area? They come with washing machines when you buy them, never wear out and hold the hose from collapsing when making that high rise to the drain pipe.
I don’t know why but I have 3 of these things and I’m betting a couple are at least 10 - 15 years old but still will work.
Hardware stores will sell them as a kit.
Look for the one with the sides split so you can slide the hose into it or you’ll have to cut the sides to do the same thing. This way you won‘t have to remove the whole hose to slide it over. Try it.
Oh those look better than the one I got!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
A manual bilge is one of those things that you hope you never have to use but if you do have cause to use it you really really want it to work.
Greg...
An owner can look at the problem and consider it was there when I got the boat. The people before me were all masters at their trade and only selected the very best solutions for the boat.

In my way of thinking the bold print above is the important message you want to take back to your boat. Sure you can use lesser hose that kinks, then you can add a support to help it not kink patching up the problem. Then you can pray when the SH** and the FAN are colliding that the hose does not collapse as you pump to save your boat.

Or you can invest a little cash and buy the proper sized reinforced bilge hose that will preform without kinking or collapsing when needed.

It is your boat and your decision.
I wish you all the best.