Can I get this to point higher?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2006
-Morgan 323 Port of Everett Marina
We just started to race our Lancer 25 in a local club. The boat seems fast enough but the most I can get is about 55 deg off of true wind to maintain speed. I also seem to be getting alot of weather helm even with a reefed main. I'm sure the keel is alot of the issue but does anyone have any other ideas?

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
You didn't say...is it PHRF?

Per all the reporting clubs US PHRF for the Lancer 25 is min 264 max 276 ave 267 seconds per mile. They have you significantly lower that anyone reported and you should discuss your rating with them. They have rated you equal to a Catalina 25 and that is a pipe dream as it is a fin keeled boat. They should know better. They owe you at least 30 seconds. Regarding weather helm...be sure to sail her flat or you will go to weather like a raft. BobM

Jun 25, 2006
PHRF

I did all the measuring and got an official rating of 276 NFS and 258 as-sailed. By showing up for every race we took 3rd overall! Not bad out of 12 boats. I think it is time to move up to the Lancer 30. Any comments?

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Sounds like your doing grand!

Why would you want to change? Race another season and see if you can do better. How old are your sails? How big is your genoa.

Jun 25, 2006
We did learn alot!

The main is new with a little extra roach. We also changed to a loose foot and full battans in the top two. Genoa is 150% but is pretty old. All the fine adjustments are exciting to say the least. Traveler is a spring pin style and the lead cars are clipped to the toe rail. Adjustment underway is almost impossible without taking the load off. Boat did well on broad reach though. I think we should just drag race! We ended up with third overall out of about 12 boats that race because we kept showing up every day. We had a good time. We also do some cruising so am looking for a little more room and a real galley.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
S2

We just made the move up ourselves. S2 builds a nice boat and I am comfortable in it at 6 feet even. I have posted much about it on the s2owners.com sister site. 6'2" might be tough for most 30 footers. You might want to go as high as 32-34 feet if you are looking for head room. Given my Wife's limited desire to sail I figured that overnights would be few and far between, as usual, so interior accommodations were less important than other considerations.

My advice, after going through it myself this year, is to look at a bunch of boats to get an idea of likes and dislikes then make a list of need to haves vs. nice to haves. Once we took this approach we settled on a tee-shaped cockpit with wheel steering (much better for a rotation issue I have with my back...no pain since and I couldn't man a tiller for three hours) as our main need everything pretty much fell into place. This need eliminated most of the boats in our age / price range and I identified the S2 9.2A as a boat I was interested in. We looked at one and after that it really was just finding one. Keying in on just one boat meant that we didn't get a great deal, as we essentially ended up buying the best one of a handful in the area, but no regrets as we plan to keep her for a while.

Based on weight, the Lancer 30 is a pretty small 30 footer. It is about 8200 lbs, and my 9.2a is over 10,000 as are the O'day 30/31 (the 302 is about 8000) and the Catalina 30. Weight is a good measure of relative size between boats of equivalent length, but not always. The Newport 30 is a pretty big boat inside, but is light at about 8000 lbs, but it is pretty lightly built too in my opinion and I looked at a few and had a survey done on one.

Every boat is a compromise. You just need to decide where you are / are not willing to compromise.

Jun 25, 2006
S2

The S2 looks nice. I will add that to my list. Not too many on the West side. We are in the Puget Sound area and I would like some weight for when we head up into the straits. I also like the looks of the Islander and the Pearsons. The San Juan 28 has plenty of head room but is a little light. I have started a list and making notes as I go as to wants and needs. I have my 25 up for sale. I added a tacktick system to it last year with autohelm and a GPS. I think I fixed up a really nice house in a bad neighborhood!

Status
Not open for further replies.