Can a Catalina 22 Cruise at 10 Knots Under Power?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Both will get me where I want to go, but one is a heck of a lot more fun than the other.
Sounds to me like you need either a cruising catamaran or trimaran.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
As noted earlier, the C22 is trailerable, so shortening your distance by car may be a viable option for you on some trips. Once you are closer, you may not mind sailing at 5 knots and seeing the sights.
My trimaran is both trailerable and capable of 10+ knots, and it has a much nicer cabin than either the slower C22 or the much faster Corsair 27. Even in light winds, the lighter, faster trimaran will outpace many other boats.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I don't see any boat in your near future other than a motor boat. Forget the sailing for now, buy the motor boat and do it your way. You'll get a lot more boat for the money if you go with a power boat, as well.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Powersailers, in the size you're seeking have one other characteristic that will make budget minded folk shiver. You will own a big engine (likely outboard), AND a full set of sails. Unless you are reasonably mechanical, large outboard maintenance can be expensive and very slow. If you buy a beater that needs sails, that's a big cost. A beater powersailer can double or triple in price quickly if you have to repower and buy sails. You could buy a new kicker for the price of a big repair to a 60-120hp outboard.

Be very careful when you buy to verify the condition of outboard and sails - particularly if a big outboard is involved. A $10k budget will be a challenge.

You sound more like a power boat couple than sailers. When you go sailing on a two day weekend from a wet slip, sailing IS the destination. Trailering will broaden your horizons - but may not be your cup of tea, or your area may not have opportunities for trailer sailing.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
If you buy a beater that needs sails, that's a big cost. A beater powersailer can double or triple in price quickly if you have to repower and buy sails. You could buy a new kicker for the price of a big repair to a 60-120hp outboard.

Be very careful when you buy to verify the condition of outboard and sails - particularly if a big outboard is involved. A $10k budget will be a challenge.
That is good thinking.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I would lower your expectations of distance locations, especially on a small, daggerboard boat and being new to sailing. Crossing a strait in a 22ft boat should not be the purchase objective.

Not knowing your other half, set it up for success (don't start her off hating it). Amenities, comfort and security fuel continued sailing partners. I would entertain the idea of a 22ft boat as a day sailer for a long time until you have buy in from the better half. Build confidence in your skills and in the boat before taking on trips. This will build her confidence in all of it.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Get a powerboat if you are indifferent to sailing. Sailing is slow, frustrating, requires a fair amount of study, very hands on, and a terribly slow way to “get anywhere” Truthfully the only people who sail are passionate about sailing. Trailer sailing opens a huge opportunity for different destinations, but honestly day sailing or weekending you will end up in your home waters just enjoying sailing, your boat IS the destination the act of sailing the purpose. And if you find a cool cove, secluded anchorage all the better!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I understand your challenge. I have been poking about in these waters for 3 years and I have not even scratched the surface. Yet I have found some beautiful places to explore.

What I have found is a trip with about 5 hours or less transit and the rest spent exploring works pretty well. At 10 knots the would be about 40 nautical miles. The evil truth is you just don't average 10 knots. It is always somewhat less.

Your bus vs convertible is a pretty good analogy and I suspect you would favor the convertible (I hear speed boat). While you would get to your location, a speed boat would not have the home comforts of a bus (think VW camper van - sailboat).

That is not to say one is better than the other. A fast speed boat and a stay at a B&B can be very entertaining. And while speedboats might be fun to anchor for lunch, not sure they would be too comfortable in a winter blow..
IMG_3145.jpeg

This is my friend Les, Myself and behind the camera Ward during our "Extreme Winter Cruise of 2019". The dock at Saturna Island. We overnighted is a warm cabin and completed a 18 day cruise that took us from Everett to Vancouver BC (for the boat show) to Seattle and back to Everett during the first week in February. I know not a bathing suit cruise but lots of fun. Lots of exploration. More than a weekend experience. Possible on a sail boat.

You should check out the power boats for sale around False Creek Harbor and Granville Island. Explore the boats. Sit at the helm, imagine waking up and getting up in the middle of the night, test the head, discover where your seat would be to sip an evening beverage, or a morning cup of coffee/tea. Once you have done that you will be more ready to make the decision.

Aug 19, 2019
Wishful Thinking 1 Vancouver
Thanks for all the insights, guys. It does sound like the sailboat would only suit us if we were retired, or otherwise didn't have to go back to work on Monday. Maybe someday.

I'll focus my efforts on finding the right powerboat for our needs.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
The only sailboat I can think of, under ~65', that will do 10 kts under power is a Macgregor 26X. Not everyone is a fan of those boats, but they do exactly what you're looking for.
I agree with Phil. This is not the boat for me but it might be perfect for the mission OP described.