Can a 25' Catalina be wheel equipped?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Greg

Can a Smaller Catalina (25') be retrofitted with wheel steering and if so where can I get the apparatus?? Thanks, Greg

R

Russ King

Options

Wheel steering is a popular option for the Catalina 250. If you don't have a local Catalina dealer, try contacting Catalina through their web site http://www.catalinayachts.com/

L

LaDonna Bubak - Catalina Owners

Be sure it's worth the cost

If you're new to tiller steering, know that you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. Steering systems can cost upwards of $2000, not to mention install costs, and you'll be losing quite a bit of cockpit space (which is pretty limited on such a small boat). If your boat is older, you may not be able to recoup the cost of installing it when you finally sell. And then you also have the costs to maintain it if anything should happen. Remember, you've never heard of an "emergency wheel". Gee, do I sound discouraging? I'm not saying you *shouldn't*, just think about every aspect before you clunk down that kind of cash! LaDonna

C

Cathy

I've got one

Our '97 WK came with a wheel & its been great - really gives a larger boat feel. I'm not sure of the price so I can't tell you if it's worth the cost, but we like ours.

B

Bob Gauvreau

Dumb Idea

Dumb idea. Very dumb. When we owned our C25, we looked into it. Edson will send you specs and equipment list for free. Goto their web site and request it. Like others said before me, you will NEVER get your $$ back when you sell; as a matter of fact, given the "weirdess factor", you will most likely loose money. If you are set on spending $2K, consider inviting over a bunch of friends for a barbeque and use if fuel...that's will be the return you will get on your investment. E.G., what you add to your boat you will rarely get out of it on resale. Do it for your own pleasure. Believe me...and we have owned 15 boats in the past 25 years... Frankly, the beauty of our C25 was the tiller steering, which (...duh...) you can get out of the way when not sailing to free up cockpit space @ anchorage, etc... And, with a wheel, you sacrifice the feel of the rudder. It's your choice...but think before you leap....

C

Charlie Estrella

Dumd Idea?...NOT

Hey Greg....There is no such thing as a "dumb idea" when it comes to making your sailing adventures as fun and as accomidating as possible! Yes, your 250 has a smaller cockpit but if it were me I would definately have wheel steering over tiller...anyday. I think what you have to decide is if you will keep the 250 for awhile. It will be expensive but if that's "your" boat then it's your's to do whatever you want with it. Remember, sailing is having fun the way you want it...don't worry about what others think! I mean what would have happened when people told Ben Franklin it was a "dumb idea" to hold a kite up in a thunder storm and he agreed?? Have a blast and keep your sails full!

D

Dave B

edson

We were thinking of doing that with ours and got the info from Edson. The setup for the 250 is around $1300 and the installation is fairly straight forward if you don't mind cutting into the deck and the stern. They figure at least a day for a yard to do it. So you can figure the labor cost. If you decide to add the wheel steering I'd suggest getting the new style balanced rudder from Catalina if you don't already have it. Like somebody said - it's your boat so do what makes you happy with her. As far as return - you'll never get anywhere near what you invest in a boat back anyway when you sell it.

J

Jon W

I miss my C25 tiller

I'm not trying to turn this into a wheel vs tiller issue, but I've been feeling a loss lately. Our current boat, a C310, came with wheel steering. Maybe I'll eventually get used to a wheel, but it feels slower, has less feel (feedback), and is less intuitive as to direction and angle of the rudder. I really haven't figured out what advantage the wheel has. Maybe more power, but proper sail trim helps out there. I sometimes sailed to windward on my C25 with my eyes closed by feeling the groove, for short periods. Don't think I could do that very well on the C310.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Catalina Owners

Jon, the benefit of a wheel

The only benefit I can see is that it's more comfortable for many people, ie: that's how they drive their cars, etc. Unless your wheel is set up directly to the rudder (most aren't), you will lose responsiveness, increase the possibility of damage (more working parts), increase the cost of the boat and will *still* have to have an emergency tiller aboard just incase the wheel set up fails. If you have a large boat (30'+), I think a wheel might be easier to handle than a tiller but I know plenty of folks who have tillers on 38' boats & they love it! I'm not saying someone *shouldn't* have a wheel, just that the only real "benefit" is that it feels more natural to folks. LaDonna

D

Dave B

Hey John I'll swap

Jon - Hey I'll be happy to swap you my C25 with tiller for your 310 in spite of the fact that it has a wheel - heck I'll even pay shipping both ways! As to the wheel breaking down - a friend of mine has a a wheel boat and in the dozen or so years he's had it the only thing he's ever done to the wheel is replace the cables because he thought he should one year and change the string wrap at TDC. For the record I've broken one tiller and snapped a rudder. I've yet to break a wheel <BG> Dave

D

Dave LaPere ( Nature's Cradle)

Jon Your 310

Hi On, I am curious about your 310. If it's not too much bother would you care to share with me your thoughts on the differences plu's and minus's of your 310 vs your 25? Thanks Dave LaPere

J

Jon W

C25 vs C310

Dave, I’ve written a number of posts on the C310, but only mentioned comparison to the C25 in a couple of them. In summery, the C310 offers a real galley, a real head, and a real bed. And a bit more room below for storage so that I don’t have to rearrange everything to switch from daytime and sailing mode, to cooking, eating and sleeping, when I’m out cruising. Also, two people can move around in the same vicinity without dancing. The boat handling when docking has taken some time to get used to. The weight and bulk of the C310 means I have to be more deliberate and think things through more carefully. At first I missed the ability to pivot an outboard motor to help maneuver, but I’m getting much better at using the inboard’s characteristics to my advantage in tight quarters. Motoring speed is much better, especially in waves or chop. Since I single hand often, sailing is more difficult in the C310. It’s harder to adjust the mainsail. I have more trouble keeping an eye on the jib trim (luff). Besides the sensitivity of a tiller, I miss my custom, laminated racing sails that were on the C25. As setup with the 135% genoa and thick furling extrusion, the C310 is not overly impressive in light air. But with better sails it would be a fairer comparison. All in all, the 310 offer more (room, speed, equipment), but with more effort. I tend to look for crew, or do less day sailing than before, especially when the wind picks up. For more information on my C310, you can check my website at www.home.earthlink.net/~jobawhite/

D

DANNY HAIN

LOVE MINE

my 96 cat250 came with wheel steering and I love it.I think it gives you more room!also know of a C22 with wheel steering!If you can afford it and want it what the heck. Danny Hain Salty Paws

J

Jay Weinstein

25' wheel steering

ahd steering put in after owning one year. Love it, major handling difference. Edson makes a new versions for the 25/250.

Status
Not open for further replies.