Call me cheap (bimini)

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Greg

Call me cheap but I do not want to shell out 1200 bucks for a Bimini. I was wondering if anyone has made their own? I have seen the mounting hardware listed in some internet boating supply stores. The sunbrella fabric is inexpensive and available. There are a few local machine shops that can cut and bend stainless. The local Rag shop has a pretty good seamstress. Has anyone out there done it on their own? I could use some pointers.

B

Bob Cree

Stock Bimini

I added a bimini to my H34. I purchased a "stock" one from Overtons by taking the info in their catalog and selecting the one that would fit my boat. Cost was approximately $250. It has been in place for two years and has been great. Bob

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

I second the Overton's choice...

I was actually willing to shell out $800 for a bimini for my boat...but the canvas maker told me in Feb that she was taking orders for October, and I wasn't willing to fry for another summer. So I ordered one from Overtons. And even though the supports are 7/8" aluminum and not 1" stainless, it's been on the boat for 2.5 years--up year round--with no noticeable deterioration...and mine is a powerboat that puts a lot of stress on it at 25 mph when the wind gets under it. One caveat: although the "basic package" comes with a tonneau cover, it has very few rigid supports...it's secured by a collection of straps...no way to fold it back to have an open cockpit on those glorious days when you want one. So order the extra supports that replace some of the straps.

E

Ed Schenck

Sailrite?

Check out Sailrite's online catalog at www.sailrite.com. The three-bow kit is $340. in aluminum and $550. in SS. The hardware and sunbrella is first-rate and sufficient to make a very large bimini. You can tailor it any way that suits your boat, for example around a backstay or under a boom. One caveat, you need to learn to sew....with patience. But it's not difficult to cut the threads and redo.

J

John B

Overton Bimini - been there- OK , but ..

Greg, I went with an Overton bimini on my H27 a number of years ago & it lasted many years & I sold the boat with it. One hitch is that the cheaper biminis are made with some material that seems to be magnet for mold & mildew so it's a constant task to keep it clean. I haven't seen the Overton offerings lately but if I was buying today, I would look for one with better material - Sunbrella, etc.

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

John, Overtons offers Sunbrella...

They have biminis in 3 colors in stock for immediate shipment, and about 20 more colors can be special ordered at no increase in price. Takes about 2 weeks...drop shipped from the mfr in AZ. The difference between the Overtons biminis and those you'd pay a canvas shop a whole lot more to make is: they aren't custom fitted to each boat (so be sure to look at other boats the same size as your which have biminis and measure)... thinner 7/8" aluminum supports (and more straps than supports)...the fabric is attached to the supports (called "bows") through short "pockets" with no zippers instead of zippered pockets that go all the way across...and no zippers on the edges to add side curtains later. The fabric is the same Sunbrella you'd buy anywhere else. OTOH, the size that fits my flybridge cost me $375 including shipping instead of the $800-900 I'd have had to pay for a top quality custom bimini on 1" stainless bows.

E

Ed

making a bimini

After getting prices last summer, I decided to try to make my own. I am very happy with the result - I think it does not look much different from the $1,000 variety. The cost was less than $250 BUT - Since my boat is used in fresh water, I used galvanized electrical metallic tubing ($3 for a 10 ft stick, 3/4"dia.)and yes, I know what people think about galvanized on a sailboat! The fabric is sunbrella ($11.25/yd, 46"wide. The tubing is easy to bend with a borrowed tubing bender that all electricians have, or you can buy one for $50. End fittings are nylon from boat/us, with the I.D. increased slightly to fit the tubing. I sewed the thing on an old home sewing machine, using thread from Sailrite. Coaxing the machine through 4 layers was a pain, but it did the job. The hardest part was getting the fabric to fit tightly over the frame. The easiest part was bending the tubing. If the galvanized doesn't hold up, I'll either paint it or use aluminum. My boat is a Hunter 34. Any questions, tou can e-mail me at farlaef@aol.com. I'll be here until Jan 1, at which time I am going to Bradenton for a month.

B

bill shakun

HELP

HAVE 31'85 HUNTER. WHAT MODEL DID YOU ORDER FROM OVERTON AND HOW LONG, ETC. DOES IT FOLD OUT OF THE WAY ONTO THE BACK-STAYS(WIRES).HOW MANY STRUTS(3,4).

B

bill shakun

bows

THE TERM STRUTS REFERS TO HOW MANY BOWS SO AS TO FOLD OUT OF THE WAY ONTO THE BACK-STAYS.

G

gm

Bite the bullet, AmeriSeam

You have a 336, right?... An expensive boat you love and are proud of right? Try not to think in terms of $1200 vs $500. Consider the life expecancy of the product and ask yourself if $50 or $100 dollars per year for ten years matters. I bought an AmeriSeam for my boat and love it. Looks, great, fits great and if somebody grabs a "bow" for a hand hold I am not worried it is going to bend. Mounted to my boat in under an hour with no drilling, nothing, just wonderful shade

Status
Not open for further replies.