California Trailer Plates

Jun 21, 2023
West Wight Potter 14 Santa Cruz, CA
Has anyone been able to make heads or tails out of the trailer plate situation in California these days?

I have 4 trailers (2 boat, 2 utility), 2 of which I have plates and titles for. The other 2 I have plates for, but no titles. I purchased them with bills of sale only, and I'm not sure what, if anything, I need to do to ensure they are in my name.

Has anyone had any issues in the past with a trailer that has plates, but doesn't have a registration or title in your name?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
No idea about California but in Florida trailers that weight less than #2,000 lbs are not titled. The registration is used to convey ownership. At one time I had two small trailers registered in New Jersey, similar thing there.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
You are going to have to sort it out.

If you have AAA membership or can find any other entity that can help with titles and registrations I would go there first before approaching the DMV.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Has anyone had any issues in the past with a trailer that has plates, but doesn't have a registration or title in your name?
is

All trailers are registered under the permanent trailer identification (PTI) program
Fees are based on unladen weight. Fees are renewable every 5 years. It is very inexpensive. No stamps, and in many cases plates need be displayed. Just some kind of ownership proof. You can try to decipher all this for online registration, go here to get started.

OR............. . make an appointment with local dmv and take what you have: Bills or sale, registrations, photos, etc down there and let them sort it out. I have found the dmv to be very accommodating these past few years, not like the old days. That's the easiest way, and the one I took a while back. It won't be as painful as you think... then you're done with it for the next 5 years, when they will send you the renewal via mail.

Jun 21, 2023
West Wight Potter 14 Santa Cruz, CA
You are going to have to sort it out.
Fair enough, but I guess more what I was curious about was "what do I need to sort out?" It sounds like my "permanent" plates without a title aren't actually permanent, and I need to ensure that there is a title in my name. Mostly so they can send me the bills to maintain the registration.

I guess another way to ask is: if I get pulled over for some reason with one of the trailers with a permanent plate but no title in my name, am I in for trouble? It sounds like yes.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Fair enough, but I guess more what I was curious about was "what do I need to sort out?" It sounds like my "permanent" plates without a title aren't actually permanent, and I need to ensure that there is a title in my name. Mostly so they can send me the bills to maintain the registration.

I guess another way to ask is: if I get pulled over for some reason with one of the trailers with a permanent plate but no title in my name, am I in for trouble? It sounds like yes.
Take whatever you have down to the DMV and let the clerk sort it out. Present your questions to the clerk for a definitive answer. The clerk will give you all forms that may needed, tell you what each trailer needs and how to maintain ownership evidence into the future. There's nothing here anyone can do for you, even if we could answer your questions, we have NO authority. So go to someone who has instead of speculating.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
What Joe says.

I got to believe that if you don't have current registration for a trailer and anything untoward happens its going to hurt. To get registration you will need a title.

My DMV password includes the letters "nazi".

Good luck.

Last edited: