Calibrating ST60 wind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 5, 2008
Catalina 310 Savannah
Our wind meter is off...way off sometimes. I have studied the manual and it seems to me my best option is to restore factory setting and re-perform the linearising/calibration. Any ideas before I do this?

Jeanine

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Do the simple one first

From the Raymarine manual

4.2 User calibration
The User calibration procedures:
• Linearize and align the wind transducer.
• Select the required wind speed units
Linearizing and aligning the wind transducer
This procedure ensures that the sensors in the windvane transducer are correctly calibrated to record rotation of the windvane, then compensates for any small errors which may exist in the alignment of the wind transducer.
To do this:
1. Power-up the ST60 Wind instrument.
2. Slowly turn the vessel through two complete circles. This procedure automatically linearizes the windvane. A successful linearization is indicated by the digital display flashing and the buzzer sounding three beeps.
3. Hold down the disp and true/app keys for approximately 2 seconds to enter User calibration then use the disp key to select the wind angle screen (see the User calibration flow diagram).
4. Sail directly into the wind and adjust the analog pointer to zero, using the
vmg and tack keys. If you are unable to achieve the required degree of accuracy due to sea conditions, and errors become apparent during subsequent tack operations, repeat this procedure to achieve alignment accuracy.
5. Display the wind speed units screen.
6. Use the vmg and tack keys to select the units you want, either knots (KTS) or meters per second (M/S).
Note: Any speed unit changes will be applied to other SeaTalk instruments.

Leaving User calibration
Hold down the disp and true/app keys for 2 seconds to save your settings, exit User calibration and resume normal operation.

Apr 5, 2008
Catalina 310 Savannah
From the Raymarine manual

4.2 User calibration
The User calibration procedures:
• Linearize and align the wind transducer.
• Select the required wind speed units
Linearizing and aligning the wind transducer
This procedure ensures that the sensors in the windvane transducer are correctly calibrated to record rotation of the windvane, then compensates for any small errors which may exist in the alignment of the wind transducer.
To do this:
1. Power-up the ST60 Wind instrument.
2. Slowly turn the vessel through two complete circles. This procedure automatically linearizes the windvane. A successful linearization is indicated by the digital display flashing and the buzzer sounding three beeps.
3. Hold down the disp and true/app keys for approximately 2 seconds to enter User calibration then use the disp key to select the wind angle screen (see the User calibration flow diagram).
4. Sail directly into the wind and adjust the analog pointer to zero, using the
vmg and tack keys. If you are unable to achieve the required degree of accuracy due to sea conditions, and errors become apparent during subsequent tack operations, repeat this procedure to achieve alignment accuracy.
5. Display the wind speed units screen.
6. Use the vmg and tack keys to select the units you want, either knots (KTS) or meters per second (M/S).
Note: Any speed unit changes will be applied to other SeaTalk instruments.

Leaving User calibration
Hold down the disp and true/app keys for 2 seconds to save your settings, exit User calibration and resume normal operation.
Yes I see those instructions, but they are to set up immeiditely after install while the factory default settings are still applied. So I am guessing since this is an older unit, I should go back and restore factory settings then follow the above steps.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
They still work

Last year I did not do a reset to factory,just the procedure and it helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.