CAL 35

Nov 5, 2017
CAL 35 San Carlos
Hello, After seriously considering purchasing a 1975 Islander 36 that required a lot of upgrades and work, I am now looking at a 1984 CAL 35 MK II which while more expensive is in excellent condition.
I would appreciate any comments on what you particularly like and dislike about the CAL 35 as I am new to purchasing this size and age of sailboat.
Thank you

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My CAL35Cruiser is a different boat layout. 1974, so an older boat and 3/4 keel of 5 feet.
That said I like Lapworth designed boats. The boat sails well. In 15 plus knot winds I can sail with jib and main in balance. I’m reefing if it looks to get 20 and above. I cruise at 6.2 knots under power which is respectable for a 35 foot boat. The high sweep of the boat keeps us dry and the ride in a sea is comfortable. Internal cabin craftsmanship in on the budget end. Boat hull is sturdy. I took a glancing blow from a fishing boat doing 25 mph and sustained only minor damage.
For my use and sailing area it is a great boat with plenty of room and function.
CC911231-0A57-42A1-983B-DDD8E233A48D.jpeg

Nov 5, 2017
CAL 35 San Carlos
Many thanks for your comments, John. Unfortunately, I could not get any price reduction so am looking around for another.
Again, thank you

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Understand. Sometimes I think boats are listed but the owner hopes no one will make an offer. It is a strange world.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
My wife is in real estate and deals with similar people, they think their house is "special" and worth more money so the house never sells because they refuse to deal.
There are lot of boats out there, keep looking. Good luck with the search!

Nov 5, 2017
CAL 35 San Carlos
Many thanks John and SailormanDan - I am already back to looking at an older Islander 36 which needs some work as I understand these boats sail well, are well built and while it needs standing and running rigging and a new head liner to begin with, for the $15k difference in price, I should certainly be able to do the needed upgrades for less than this amount!
Thanks again
Davis