cal 28 sailing properties

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ray Frechette

I am considering purchasing a mid 80's cal 28. Can anyone describe the sailing characteristics? How quickly and how much does she heel? IE: how many degrees at what windspeed? Can heeling be reduced by easing sheeting angle? Heeling doesn't bother me, but when my wife sails... We currently sail a 19' Potter and I can keep heel angle down to please her. 20 degrees is OK with her, bu approaching 30 makes her less comfortable. How rugged is the hull and keel? How readily can the model stand up to a hard grounding without damage? Thanks in advance. Ray.

A

Albert Arbuckle

CAl 28 sail properties

I have 1985 Cal 28, before this boat I sailed a Catalina 25, the catalina would heal over to the rail in 12 knots or better. the Cal sails much flatter and fast, 6.5 to 7.2 knots. My wife and both enjoy this boat.

M

Mike O'Reilly

Sailing Props Cal 28

I've sailed mine in a wide variety of conditions in southern New England coastal waters (some really nasty). She is solid and fast for a 28 footer, especially down wind. You will have to reef earlier than other boats however due to the high aspect rig. But when you do reef in 18 - 20 kts or so she will be very comfortable. As far as construction, we were caught in Nantucket Sound in big (short, steep and angry)waves. We were sailing with 4 other bigger, and quality built boats. We were the only boat that didn't break anything. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.